Apparent bug in patch installer for KB2890788 (Silverlight) RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I try to run the patch installer for KB2890788 (MS13-087: Vulnerability in Silverlight could allow information disclosure: October 8, 2013), the installer tries to load the file "silverlight.msi" from a path that starts with a non-existent drive on my systems (drive "I:").  The bug (or potential bug) is that the drive letter seems to be hard-coded to use drive "I:", as opposed to using an environment variable (such as %SYSTEMROOT%) or other constructed path.

I can find no way to resolve this or work around it, so I'm asking for suggestions.

(Although Microsoft seems to promise free support for update installation problems, they've refused to provide it and instead insists on charging me!)

Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you download the patch again and try once more?

Also, do you see anything in Windowsupdate.log file?

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:13 AM
  • Thanks, Arnav, for your reply!

I've downloaded the patch several times, and each time the MD-5 hash is identical, so I'm confident I'm getting the full file, which is 6,951,048 bytes (6,955,008 bytes on disk).

After first clearing Windowsupdate.log and then running the patch again, Windowsupdate.log remained empty.

The proffered path in the dialog box always starts with drive letter "I:", and although the random-looking directory name looks different each time, the last time I ran it the path name in the dialog box was: "i:\850ade246c1547d967b443a9de29\"

By the way, the dialog box I'm talking about reads as follows:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'silverlight.msi' in the box below.

i:\850ade246c1547d967b443a9de29\"

Note that if I ignore the suggested path and instead browse to the known directory where I've pre-expanded the downloaded patch executable into it's component parts (including silverlight.msi, install.exe, install.res.dll, silverlight.7z, and silverlight.msp), and then select 'silverlight.msi' from there, it makes NO difference.  What happens in that case is that the dialog box changes to add the phrase "Accessing the feature..." for several seconds, then the phrase disappears and the same dialog box (with the correct path) simply comes up again, and the infinite loop continues.

Upon reading what I just wrote, I must admit that I didn't explain the problem very well in my OP, and for that, I apologize.  The problem is better described as an infinite loop of failure to process and install the patch.

Thanks again for your reply, and I hope I can get some help with this...

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:37 AM
  • Something like this : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/silverlight/en-US/903dc83a-3b41-4e44-b6d9-097721e8eee4/the-feature-you-are-trying-to-use-is-on-a-network-resource-that-in-unavailable?forum=silverlightinstall

and

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/the-feature-you-are-trying-to-use-is-on-a-network/ccabba50-135f-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by RegnadKcin47 Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:54 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:59 AM
  • Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling Silverlight ? and then install the patch ?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:59 AM
  • Thank you, Arnav! The Microsoft FixIt you pointed me to with your first link solved the problem.  I don't know what else that FixIt does besides uninstalling SilverLight, but the re-install worked fine.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Affected me too and reinstalled. Now ok. Probably beacuse of Silverlight SDK 4 and 5 are already installed too.

Microsoft?

------------ outside msdn

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:47 AM