Intermittent freezes (windows error reporting started - how to troubleshoot?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently deployed around 30 identical machines with identical images. At the same time, the users received new, fresh user profiles, based on a configured default profile.

A handful of users report that their machines freeze intermittently throughout the day, for maybe 10-30 seconds at a time. When looking at their Event Viewer at the time they report a freeze I notice a System event 7036 "The Windows Error Reporting Service service entered the running state". Two minutes later another event logged shows the WER service stopped.

At the exact same time the Security log records the following 3 events 

1. 4624 - Logon: An account was successfully logged on
    2. 4672 - Special Logon: Special privileges assigned to new logon
    3. 4688 - Process Creation: A new process has been created

How can I troubleshoot this further?

How can I read the logs which WER is generating? (There is no C:\windows\minidump folder)

Can I increase the logging level to reveal more information?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly please update your BIOS to check.

If it doesn't resolve the issue, please use Clean Boot to troubleshoot to see if there are some softwares conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Meanwhile, please help us collect the information:

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the system crash again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Upload to SkyDrive.

Best regards

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, November 18, 2013 1:32 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly please update your BIOS to check.

If it doesn't resolve the issue, please use Clean Boot to troubleshoot to see if there are some softwares conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Meanwhile, please help us collect the information:

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the system crash again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Upload to SkyDrive.

Best regards

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, November 18, 2013 1:32 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:20 AM
  • Karen,

Thanks for the reply. Upon first impression the BIOS updates appears to have helped. I will update again if the problem persists.

Regards

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Hello again,

Whilst the BIOS update does appear to reduce the frequency of these errors, they are still appearing on occasion. 

I have followed your advice and can confirm the mini dump settings we already set as you had explained. Unfortunately I found no 'minidump' folder under %systemroot%. Does the folder get created automatically? I have manually created the folder in case this was the reason why the logs were not being generated.

I shall continue to monitor. If the logs still don't appear in the new folder, what could be causing the logs to not be generated?

Thanks again.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:35 PM