none
DPM 2016: How To Migrate Data Protection Manager Resources to a New Storage Location RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way of migrating Data Protection Manager 2016 resources to a new storage location? IE (2) ReFS drives within DPM2016. I have been trying the methods described for DPM 2012 using PowerShell commands with no luck.

Has anyone else tried this move technique?

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

At this time there is no method to migrate data sources between different modern storage volumes.  This is something that will be added in a future update rollup.  The only thing you can do is remove the data source from protection and delete replica (thus deleting the backups) and re-protect the data source and select a different volume.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

At this time there is no method to migrate data sources between different modern storage volumes.  This is something that will be added in a future update rollup.  The only thing you can do is remove the data source from protection and delete replica (thus deleting the backups) and re-protect the data source and select a different volume.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 8:31 PM
  • I think this is a fairly important missing feature.  Any progress on implementation?
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

I agree that this is an important feature but I don't have a time line for when this may be added.  I do know it will not be included in the upcoming update rollup-2 (UR2). 

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:52 PM
  • It has been a long time since this question was originally asked.  Is there any update on this feature?
    Sunday, September 24, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, we are in final stages of testing new code to allow you to migrate data sources between modern backup storage volumes.  It should be included in an upcoming rollup update.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:20 PM