Exchange 2007: Users in 1 mailstore unable to connect to OWA or ActiveSync RRS feed

• Question

• We have an issue with users in a single mailstore (at least just the one mailstore at the moment). Users in this store are unable to connect to ActiveSync, existing connections have not synced for 2 days, new connections are rejected. Similarly, OWA access is denied. New connections from Outlook fail but existing ones can still send and receive without issue.

Interesting point we have found, adding these mailboxes as additional to my Outlook setup works for most, I can connect to the mailbox and see content, however, a small number of them give the error "Cannot expand the folder"

All other mailstores appear to be working fine.

Does anyone have experience of this issue or have any suggestions on how we can fix it?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:19 PM

Answers

• I think I see two things happening here.  The first is the issue accessing these mailboxes via OWA.  For this, check to see if the system mailbox still exists on that mailbox store.

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database RLGDAGDB001 | ? { $_.DisplayName -like 'SystemMailbox*' }

If that command shows a mailbox with a name like "SystemMailbox{<long GUID>}", then heave a sigh of relief and see if anyone else has answers for this question.  If it doesn't, you are going to need to rebuild or recover that mailbox, and I can't help with that.

Now, for why you are able to mount the other mailboxes, your account appears to have full-access on those mailboxes.  Run the following:

Get-MailboxPermission <mailbox> | ? { $_.AccessRights -match "FullAccess" } | Select User, AccessRights

If your account, or any groups your account is a member of, is in this list, you have full mailbox access on those mailboxes.  This is not a default configuration, so you may wish to figure out how that happened and remediate it.

• Marked as answer by GADavies Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:56 PM

All replies

• I think I see two things happening here.  The first is the issue accessing these mailboxes via OWA.  For this, check to see if the system mailbox still exists on that mailbox store.

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database RLGDAGDB001 | ? { $_.DisplayName -like 'SystemMailbox*' }

If that command shows a mailbox with a name like "SystemMailbox{<long GUID>}", then heave a sigh of relief and see if anyone else has answers for this question.  If it doesn't, you are going to need to rebuild or recover that mailbox, and I can't help with that.

Now, for why you are able to mount the other mailboxes, your account appears to have full-access on those mailboxes.  Run the following:

Get-MailboxPermission <mailbox> | ? { $_.AccessRights -match "FullAccess" } | Select User, AccessRights

If your account, or any groups your account is a member of, is in this list, you have full mailbox access on those mailboxes.  This is not a default configuration, so you may wish to figure out how that happened and remediate it.

• Marked as answer by GADavies Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:56 PM
  • thanks, all is now good in email world :)
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:23 PM