Warm-boot failure. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Elitebook 2530p, first of all, it does not currently have SP3 installed. It's a fresh install with wireless adapter drivers only (to retrieve additional drivers from network share).

The problem is whenever I select restart from the start menu the system restarts and then hangs on the XP load screen.

It will shutdown then startup with no problems.

I have also run the built-in HDD and RAM diagnostics with no errors returned.

Any idea what the problem may be?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:22 AM

Answers

• when boot up.. press f8 and select last known good configuration..

if after selecting last known good config. you still fail to  boot to OS level. Kindly use active boot disc to backup all your data.. and be prepared for reinstallation.

else it might be due to a hardware failure as well..

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Bevan123, what you mean by it hangs on the XP load screen but it shutdown and starts without a problem?

or you mean the XP loading screen takes time to load or what?

Every second counts..make use of it.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Hi cguan.

If I log into windows and restart the laptop it will restart the machine and hangs on the xp loading screen -  http://www.bized.co.uk/sites/bized/files/images/xp.jpg

If I log in and then shut down the machine. Then switch it back on it starts up, displays the loading screen, then logs in normally.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:44 AM
  • if you got extra RAM try using another RAM, but don't go and purchase i'm not sure whether it will work or not.

i'm just giving a suggestion, i don't think it's an operating system problem since it works normally if you shutdown the machine and switch it backs on.

or try to load the default settings on the BIOS check if it will help or not.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Factory Reset the BIOS - no difference

Ram is good as mentioned in original post, it passed the diagnostics test.

Also the memory module is the onboard chip so is irreplaceable.

Thanks for your suggestions cguan.

Any other Ideas?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:59 AM
  • i had this problem before where intermittently the windows xp will hang but it was on my desktop pc. the solution was quite odd, i replace the CMOS batt and it just works.

but don't do this unless you're familiar on how to dismantle your laptop. replacing laptop CMOS battery is quite hard, you might need to take out the bottom cover of your laptop.

but once again, it was a solution for my desktop. i am not sure whether it will work for you.

what if you just try to hibernate your laptop instead of rebooting does it cause any problem also?

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Just changed the CMOS battery and checked all the drivers were up to date.

I guess that just leaves the installation media. 

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:32 AM
  • when boot up.. press f8 and select last known good configuration..

if after selecting last known good config. you still fail to  boot to OS level. Kindly use active boot disc to backup all your data.. and be prepared for reinstallation.

else it might be due to a hardware failure as well..

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:47 AM