none
SBS 2011 Antivirus

Question

• Hello

Please can you advise what Antivirus product to use with SBS 2011.

So far I can't find any av product which is recommended for use with SBS 2011, but at the same time I can't believe that microsoft would launch such a product without antivirus compatability.

Most posts I have found seem to suggest there are problems with most av products at the moment and every company I have spoken to says 'they are working on it'.

SBS 2011 talks alot about improved secuirty, but without a functional av this seems to fall well short of the mark?

Thanks for your help

Martin

Monday, February 28, 2011 10:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am currently using the SBS 2011 RC and I have Nod32 v4 installed and running with NO issues. I have scans set for every 12 hrs as I do on our Production SBS 2008 and so far (3 weeks 24/7) no issues what so ever.

I am currently unaware of any AV that happens to be "Certified" or even recommended for SBS 2011 but Eset is working well.

Hope this helps,

Gene

Monday, February 28, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Hi,

As you may know, it will take some time to check the compatibility of the antivirus application with SBS2011 for those antivirus company, so you need to contact them to perform the further research.

By the way, the following post discussed a similar issue, you can refer to:

Anti Virus Options for SBS 2008 Exchange 2007? OR: HOW DO YOU BUY FOREFRONT!?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/5e9a0148-2a4b-4759-98e3-57aae3a7a482

A great Anti Virus & Anti Spyware Solution. What do you use?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/smallbusinessserver/thread/28c58028-16fb-4b68-8581-5a1d74c023b0

Anti-virus for Small business server 2011

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/smallbusinessserver/thread/70770c08-9626-4335-8577-2fb20db63ea1

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:09 AM
  • None.  Use a mail hygiene engine in front of SBS 2011.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Hello

Please can you advise what Antivirus product to use with SBS 2011.

So far I can't find any av product which is recommended for use with SBS 2011, but at the same time I can't believe that microsoft would launch such a product without antivirus compatability.

Most posts I have found seem to suggest there are problems with most av products at the moment and every company I have spoken to says 'they are working on it'.

SBS 2011 talks alot about improved secuirty, but without a functional av this seems to fall well short of the mark?

Thanks for your help

Martin

I realise that this question is marked as answered, but if I may be allowed to add an update to Martin's original question.

If you are a Symantec fan, (note the stress on the word, 'if', there, please), you may be interested to hear of Symantec's beta for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1. (http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=sep12-beta). At the time of writing, the only bit of information you can glean from the page, is that it will be released 'later this year', whatever that means. Again, at the time of writing, there is a link on the right of the page, which points to System Requirements and SBS 2011 is definitely listed.

Personally, I have used Symantec EndPoint Protection for Small Business without any issues at all, for a number of years.

On another note, it's a pity that Microsoft couldn't go the whole way for its customers and integrate Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection into SBS 2011, and spare us from having to sit on our thumbs waiting for 3rd party vendors to come up with solutions. We had similar issues with SBS 2008, and I agree with Martin on this point, that it is poor that this product shipped without seemingly much thought on AV protection.

FWIW,

Al
    Friday, March 04, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Part of the problem with many of these products running on SBS is the combination of SBS being such a compliation of products and the AV vendors trying to add more and more to their products the conflicts and issues continue to build.

My suspicion as to why the didn't include it has to do with cost.  The  price for SBS 2008 and 2011 went up...adding Forefront would increase it more and many may not want it.

I don't put anything on my customers servers...I have firewall in front of hte network which does universal threat manangement
    Think of the castle and moat analogy.   My network is the castle and the firewall is the moat.  Easier to slay the dragon outside the castle

Workstations have either Security Essentials or Forefront Endpoint (unmanaged) depending on number of desktops 

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Friday, March 04, 2011 10:46 PM
  •  
    Workstations have either Security Essentials or Forefront Endpoint (unmanaged) depending on number of desktops 

You can't use Security Essentials in a business environment. It's licenced only for home use.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:25 AM
  • Licensing changed and Security Essentials is now permitted for business use on 10 or fewer computers.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:18 AM
  •  

Nice ! They changed it ! That's great news !!!!!!!!!

1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
      1. Home Use. If you are a home user, then you may install and use any number of copies of the software on your personal devices for use by people who reside in your household. As a home user, you may not use the software in any commercial, non-profit, or revenue generating business activities.
      2. Small Business. If you operate a small business, then you may install and use the software on up to ten (10) devices in your business.
      3. Restrictions.
        1. The software may not be used on a device running an enterprise version of a Microsoft Windows operating system.
        2. The software may not be used on devices owned by government or academic institutions.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:48 AM