Can somebody help clarify something? (Vista Upgrade) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have two questions and would greatly appreciate any advice people are willing to offer.

I have a few Windows Vista PC's:

2x Home Premium
    1x Home Basic.

I'm planning on upgrading these three machines to Windows Vista Ultimate to unlock Active Directory integration. However, I've never done a Vista upgrade before.

1:Is it simply a matter of inserting the upgrade CD and it will keep all programs/files on the HD and just unlock parts of the O/S or does it do a whole re-install ?

2: If I get the Sp1 upgrades, do I just need to apply the SP1 patches to the O/S or do I have to purchase the non sp1 upgrades?

Thank you kindly for any advice.

Kind regards,

Matt

Friday, September 26, 2008 9:11 AM

Answers

•  Mat_2001mat wrote:
    Hi there,

I have two questions and would greatly appreciate any advice people are willing to offer.

2x Home Premium
    1x Home Basic.

I'm planning on upgrading these three machines to Windows Vista Ultimate to unlock Active Directory integration. However, I've never done a Vista upgrade before.

1:Is it simply a matter of inserting the upgrade CD and it will keep all programs/files on the HD and just unlock parts of the O/S or does it do a whole re-install ?

Hi

The upgrade installation should preserve any installed programs and data. However, 'should' means that you 'should' have all of your important data, installation files for purchased software, etc, backed up to external media before upgrading. You start the upgrade from within Windows Vista.

2: If I get the Sp1 upgrades, do I just need to apply the SP1 patches to the O/S or do I have to purchase the non sp1 upgrades?

Purchase the Vista with SP1, integrated installation disks. This will be future proof in case you ever need to reinstall.

Kind regards,

Matt

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

------------------------------------
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:55 PM

All replies

•  Mat_2001mat wrote:
    Hi there,

2x Home Premium
    1x Home Basic.

Hi

The upgrade installation should preserve any installed programs and data. However, 'should' means that you 'should' have all of your important data, installation files for purchased software, etc, backed up to external media before upgrading. You start the upgrade from within Windows Vista.

Purchase the Vista with SP1, integrated installation disks. This will be future proof in case you ever need to reinstall.

Kind regards,

Matt

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

------------------------------------
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my quesions. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks again.

Matt

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:08 AM
  • Matt

Glad this helped. Good luck.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:29 PM