Outlook .PST file is reduced to 0KB RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I use windows XP and outllook 2010. Recently i have restarted my machine and it performed the check disk. After that i have found that my .PST file which used to be 8GB got reduce to 0GB. All my emails are lost. Can any one suggest me how to restore those emails, I have few important ones. I cant loose them.

Many Thanks

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:35 AM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that your outlook .PST data lost after Hard-Disk crashed. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

As my research ,this problem may occur if database lost caused by Hard-disk crashed.

If it has important information, you can find professional Hard-disk data recovery company to recover the database.

If recover Database successful, you can follow this Knowledge Base step to repair .PST

How to use the Inbox Repair tool with the click-to-run version of Outlook 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981686

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Hi William,

Thanks for your reply.

My hard disk did not crash, while i have restarted the machine it asked for check disk, i allowed it to perform the check disk. After the system got booted, i have found that the .pst file is reduced to 0kb. It was supposed to be of 8GB.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:46 AM

• Hello,

Microsoft Outlook PST file can be reduced to 0KB when to Outlook PST files are compressed or during system crash as said by the moderator ‘William’. It can also occur due to the Bad sectors on your hard disk. 

Best and simple solution to resolve ‘Outlook.pst file became 0 KB’ is restore your PST files from backup. Create new PST files and import data into it. For more information refer the blog: https://msoutlookworld.blogspot.com/2016/07/pst-showing-0kb.html

For an instant solution, you can go for a third party software like Outlook PST Repair software to recover damaged Outlook PST files without any data loss. 

Hope this will be helpful.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Bruce Anderson
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 12:53 PM
  • It’s rarely possible to recover PST file data from 0 kb PST file. Please refer to this article, as it has few methods described.
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:25 AM
  • If a PST file has turned into a 0 KB file, recovery is just impossible until unless you have the backup. I've read many articles on the Internet where it's clearly mentioned that you can't recover anything from a 0 KB PST file. But still few vendors recommend their software products to recover data from the PST file. This is just impossible. No 3rd party PST Recovery tool can ever recover anything from a PST file whose size is 0 KB.

This article has some useful information - semnaitik.com/outlook-email-recovery-0-kb-pst-file/

Thanks.

• Edited by Vartu1993 Monday, September 24, 2018 9:20 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 7:07 AM