Can anyone tell me what are the patches that i am suppose to install and configure after installing of sharepoint server 2010 standard edition in 3-tier Farm? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Hope all are doing good.

I am new to sharepoint Administration. Here is my scenario below of my sharepoint server 2010 Farm.

I have three servers and all are running on Windows server 2008 r2 enterprise Edition OS.

Server1:Database Server with SQL Server 2008 r2 standard edition 64bit and also  Sharepoint server 2010 standard,Sp1 for Sharepoint foundation 2010 and Sp1 for sharepoint server 2010.( Central Administration running with hostheader of Server2)

Server2:Application Server with Sharepoint server 2010 standard,Sp1 for Sharepoint foundation 2010 and Sp1 for sharepoint server 2010 which is linked with the Database Server.(Central Administration is running here)

Server3: Web Front End Server with Sharepoint server 2010 standard,Sp1 for Sharepoint foundation 2010 and Sp1 for sharepoint server 2010 which is linked with the Database Server.(Central Administration running with hostheader of Server2).

Now my problem is,If i go to Central Administration->Check Product and upgrade status

When i see the products installed in the farm,In Server2 i am getting a message saying Sp1 of sharepoint Server 2010 is missing/Required.But if i go and check in control panel->View installed updates,then Sp1 of shrepoint server 2010 is installed.

In other two servers,Status is installed.

Server Farm is working fine for now.But

In order to upgrade my entire farm having same components installed

• what patches should i install further?
    • Order of installation in all three servers?
    • Will this issue Missing/Required incur some loss in future?

I heard june 2011 cumulative update should be installed in all three servers but still not sure what all products should  be installed and configured in the Farm and in which order?

Anyone showing any light on me would be appreciated.

Thanking you

Ramesh

• Edited by ramesh.v2222 Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:35 AM Question was not completed.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:32 AM

All replies

• When you finished running the service packs on each server did you also run PSconfig on each server?  It has to be run on all the servers to register that the upgrade was done on that server.  Going forward any SP or CU you install should be installed on ALL servers, then PSconfig should be started on the server running Central Admin (probably server 2), then before finishing PSconfig on server 2 run it to completion on all other servers, after that is done finish running it on Server 2.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Mr.Paul,

First of all thanks for your reply.

After installing the SP1 of both foundation and server 2010 on all servers.I dint run PSConfig,But Configuration was successful using GUI in all three servers. Farm  was  fine for two weeks,after that  sharepoint Products icons changed only in Server2 when i go to Start->Allprograms->Sharepoint Products 2010.Also in Central Administration->Check product and Upgrade Status,In status Column, Microsoft sharepoint server 2010 service pack1  was Missing/Required.

Then i ran the below command in all three servers starting with Server2 and ending with Server1(Configuration was successful in all three) and also restarted all servers after that.

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures.

But Still in server2 MIssing/required status dint change to Installed.

Can you tell me what others updates should be installed after SP1 in my farm to fix the above issue?

Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:05 AM
  • What is the build number that shows up in Central Admin in Upgrade Status?  That build number will tell you what needs to be installed.

Did you install anything or restore anything in the time period after doing the original install?  It sounds like something has downgraded the dlls on Server 2 back to a pre-SP1 state.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Paul,

The build number showing in 14.0.6029.1000(which is highlighted red in color).

Ya i have been restoring site collection to this farm and also adding and deploying WSP solutions.

Based on the idea you provided,i did some R&D.

According to this link below

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sharepointjoe/archive/2011/02/01/sp2010-sharepoint-2010-build-level-and-version-numbers.aspx

For this Build number i am suppose to have Service pack1 of SharePoint Server 2010​,Office Web Apps,​Project Server 2010,SharePoint Foundation 2010.

But i installed only SP1 of foundation and server.

Please tell me what am i suppose to fix to solve this issue?

Regards,

Ramesh

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:51 AM
  • Can anyone help me out in solving the above mentioned issue?

I am stuck for quite a while in this..:(

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Are you using either Project Server or Office Web Apps?  If you are using either of them you need to install the service packs for those products too.

Monday, September 17, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Hi  Paul,

Thanks for your valuable time.

I have not installed Neither Project server nor  Office Web Apps explicitly.But installed SP1 of sharepoint foundation 2010 and SP1 of sharepoint server 2010.

Should i install Project server and  Office Web Apps explicitly to solve my issue?

If so can you please tell me what is the order i am suppose to install them along with any Service packs in all three servers?

Thanking you in advance,

Ramesh

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:15 PM
  • If you haven't installed them then you don't need the patches for them.  Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you other than removing and restoring Server 2 to get it up to date with the rest of the farm.

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Since the Farm is already in use by  developers. I dont think so i can remove and restore server2.

Anyways i will think of any other work arounds.

Thanks for your valuable Time.

Regards,

Ramesh

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

I was facing the same issue on one server in the farm and was not able to solve it by running psconfig with all the possible combinations. By checking the build number I was able to see that files/dlls were missing for SP1 and August CU 11. I tried to re-install SP1, but it fails as it starts running with some error message. Then I Slipstreamed SP1

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ronalg/archive/2011/07/11/slipstream-sharepoint-2010-sp1-and-language-packs-w-sp1-into-rtm.aspx

Installed all the files one by one using the below command (34 files were there)

msiexec /P <extracted file name>.msp REINSTALL=ALL

Then Run the PSCONFIG with additional commands

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures -cmd installcheck -noinstallcheck

Now installed August 11 CU and Ran Config wizard again locally. That solved all the problem and Central Administration->Check product and Upgrade Status shows Installed for every available components.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:50 AM