Windows 7 search programs and files results RRS feed

• Question

• How do I remove a shortcut I don't want to see listed anymore when I start typing the name of what I'm looking for. In this particular case when I start typing in the network location of a share \\ser I'm getting \\server and \\server\ in results. I don't want both. How do I remove one of them?
    yaro
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 9:31 AM

Answers

• I understand what you're saying, but have not been able to replicate it yet.

Two things:

1. Do you have a drive mapped to that server? In that case, that could be the issue.
    2. Try searching for the server name in your registry - it may show up as some recently used path you can delete.

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as
    an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others
    with the same problem finding the answer. - Thanks.

• Marked as answer by yaro137 Friday, December 9, 2011 2:39 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:19 PM

All replies

• Locate the shortcut and remove it.

If you don't know where it is, you can right-click the shortcut from the search results and select Properties. Click the General tab and look at Location:

Or, you could simply right-click the shortcut from the search results and select Delete.

an answer if it answered

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Thanks Ole but have you actually tested it yourself?
    yaro
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Yes and no.

I made a shortcut to a \\server, but since the character "\" is not allowed in a filename, I had to name my shortcut server (without the \\). Therefore, when I searched, I had to search for "server" and not "\\server".

When I searched for "server" it showed \\server and server, and I could get rid of server.

an answer if it answered

Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:20 PM
  • \\ usually points to a network location not a file on your local system in which case the \ symbol is allowed although I suppose you can access your computer by going to e.g. \\computername\C$ . Anyway, it's not a shortcut to a file but to a network location that windows search feature creates automatically and I just want to get rid of one version of that shortcat. There is no Delete option when you right-click it. Just to make sure we're on the same page it's the "Search programs and files" field just above the Start windows logo I'm relating to

yaro
    • Edited by yaro137 Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:32 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:30 PM
  • I understand what you're saying, but have not been able to replicate it yet.

Two things:

1. Do you have a drive mapped to that server? In that case, that could be the issue.
    2. Try searching for the server name in your registry - it may show up as some recently used path you can delete.

an answer if it answered

• Marked as answer by yaro137 Friday, December 9, 2011 2:39 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 3:19 PM
  • You may use offline files. From your side you access the caches that were saved before.

Understanding offline files
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Understanding-offline-files

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, December 9, 2011 6:45 AM
  • No Offline Files. Removed mapped drives - no change. Removed a couple of registries from RunMRU - success. Isn't it just arsy that wee need to mess with registries to accomplish what should be possible by simply hitting Del on the keyboard? Thumbs up for Ole. Cheers mate
    yaro
    Friday, December 9, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Glad it worked.

Yes, it shouldn't be necessary to fiddle with the registry to fix minor irritation issues like these, but nothing is perfect - especially not something as big, advanced and complicated as a Microsoft OS.

an answer if it answered

Friday, December 9, 2011 4:36 PM