none
Windows 10 Group Policies

Question

• For group policies that are for windows 10, such as policies for the windows store, is it necessary to filter the gpo by WMI or groups to target only windows 10 machines in a mixed environment? For example, in my organization, both windows 7 and 10 workstations are in the same OU. If I were to apply group policies with settings that are only supported on 10 will those settings still try and apply to windows 7, possibly tattooing the registry? Or are group policies smart enough not to make changes to machines that they are not supported on?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:57 PM

Answers

• Windows 10 Group Policy will not apply to a Windows 7 computer as they are OS version specific. Also, native administrative templates never tattoo the registry. Even if they were applied to the registry, they would be removed after the policy falls out of scope.

Alan Burchill (MVP)
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz

@alanburchill

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 11:45 PM

All replies

• Windows 10 Group Policy will not apply to a Windows 7 computer as they are OS version specific. Also, native administrative templates never tattoo the registry. Even if they were applied to the registry, they would be removed after the policy falls out of scope.

Alan Burchill (MVP)
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz

@alanburchill

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for your post.

For group policies that are for windows 10, such as policies for the windows store, is it necessary to filter the gpo by WMI or groups to target only windows 10 machines in a mixed environment?
    If you want the GPO only apply to Windows 10.

You could create a WMI filter like below.

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "10.%" and ProductType="1"

Here is an article below about how to create WMI filter may be helpful to you.

Create WMI Filters for the GPO

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947846(v=ws.10).aspx

For example, in my organization, both windows 7 and 10 workstations are in the same OU. If I were to apply group policies with settings that are only supported on 10 will those settings still try and apply to windows 7, possibly tattooing the registry?
    The group policy only supported for Windows 10 will not apply to Windows 7.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, August 07, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Hi Jay, Alan Burchill answered my question. Thank You!
    Monday, August 08, 2016 5:25 PM