Is Lync 2013 perfectly compatible with Office 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Office 2010 and Lync 2013 are two diferrent instances, but they use some common elements.

In our company we have over a hundred MS Office 2010 licences and we dont need/afford to change them all to 2013. Now we want to install Lync 2013 and I wonder if there could be compatibility issues or, if Lync 2013 can modifiy the common files they use, so that certain functions in Office 2010 will not be available or not work properly.

Is there a risk of this happening or they can work together "in complete harmony"? This is very important to me and I cannot afford to make a mistake. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Cristi,

Checkout these Lyncs on compatibility and interoperability:

Lync 2013 Compatibility http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412817.aspx

Client Interoperability http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204672.aspx

As far as having Lync 2013 & Office 2010 on the same PC, largely it SHOULD be ok and I've not had many issues. The exception to this was on a recent Citrix deployment, where for some reason running Lync 2013 was causing the Office 2010 instance to rerun everytime it was started. All desktops were ok though.

My suggestion is to make sure you thoroughly test with every scenario that you can think of before rolling out to the masses.

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" | Blog www.lynced.com.au | Twitter @imlynced

• Marked as answer by Cristi_online Monday, February 24, 2014 8:04 AM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 2:56 PM

All replies

• Yeah, using office 2010 over 2013 you will find no feature difference with using lync 2013 along side Iain Smith Northernlync.co.uk
    Friday, February 21, 2014 1:58 PM
  • Hi Cristi,

Checkout these Lyncs on compatibility and interoperability:

Lync 2013 Compatibility http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412817.aspx

Client Interoperability http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204672.aspx

As far as having Lync 2013 & Office 2010 on the same PC, largely it SHOULD be ok and I've not had many issues. The exception to this was on a recent Citrix deployment, where for some reason running Lync 2013 was causing the Office 2010 instance to rerun everytime it was started. All desktops were ok though.

My suggestion is to make sure you thoroughly test with every scenario that you can think of before rolling out to the masses.

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" | Blog www.lynced.com.au | Twitter @imlynced

• Marked as answer by Cristi_online Monday, February 24, 2014 8:04 AM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 2:56 PM
  • Lync 2013 is compatible and supported with office 2010 in limited features

The following features are available only with Office 2010 or Office 2013:

• Contact card with expanded options, such as video call and desktop sharing
    • Quick search from the Find a Contact field in Outlook
    • Reply with an IM or call from the Outlook Home ribbon in the Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks folders
    • Lync Contacts list in Outlook To-Do Bar
    • Office Backstage (File tab) presence status, program sharing, and file transfer
    • Presence menu in Microsoft Office SharePoint Workspace 2010 (formerly Microsoft Office Groove 2007)
    • Presence menu extensibility

Note:

When you install Lync 2013 with Office 2010, Ensure that they are same Version. i.e, if you install office 2010 32 bit, you must install Lync 2013 32 bit And if you use office 2010 64 bit, Lync 2013 must be 64 bit. To Lync work well without any problem

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"

Friday, February 21, 2014 6:31 PM
  • The exception to this was on a recent Citrix deployment, where for some reason running Lync 2013 was causing the Office 2010 instance to rerun everytime it was started.

I actually meant to say Office 2010 setup to rerun every time it was started.

Friday, February 21, 2014 6:40 PM