The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic RRS feed

• Question

•         I have a dozen users in my organization that randomly get the error "The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic".  It then state "The current color scheme has exceeded its allowed memory so the color scheme has been automatically changed to improve performance.  Click to see more information".  When you click for more information it does not give anything of use.  When this happens the users screen flashes black then the computer runs slower and must be restarted to restore.  I have read several solutions online for this issue and they have not worked.

I have tried to right click computer go to properties>Advanced>Settings then adjust Visual Effects to either Custom, or Adjust for best appearance.  The problem came right back the next day.  I tried Control Panel>Troubleshooting>Appearance and Personalization then ran the troubleshooting for windows Aero.  It came back with no errors.  The system is not being taxed it has to be a setting somewhere.  We have had people that had this issue that if we give them a new identical computer, with identical software installed and running the issue goes away with the new computer.  But if we transfer their user state to take their saved settings and programs to the new computer, the issue transfers with the user state and they have the same issue.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:54 PM

All replies

• Can you try installing the latest video drivers ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Monday, May 30, 2016 2:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by emishler356 Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:04 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Hi emishler356,

According to your description, we could update the Graphic driver to the latest version. Then we could disable “change the color scheme to improve performance”.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-color-scheme-improve-performance

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Also check to " Disable Areo during capture" setting in the Toolbar options.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:15 PM
  • I have downloaded the latest video drivers on all affected computers.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:19 PM
  • Hi emishler356,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly. If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Monday, May 30, 2016 2:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by emishler356 Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:04 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:34 AM
  • None of the solutions provided worked, we still have the same issues.  If there is someone that has a new fix instead of telling me to do to fixes that I said I have already done please let me know.  Sorry for the people that replied that marked that their answer worked... It did not.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:06 PM