OneDrive sync causing computer to be slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We sync SharePoint sites to the local computer with OneDrive. We're using the Files On-Demand option.

For some reason, one site that has 10000 items is causing the computer to be extremely slow. I'm seeing High CPU ,disk performance and high memory of both OneDrive process and the search index process.

We tried to sync a site with a larger amount of items and didn't have this issue. Since we are syncing only metadata I'm going with an issue with what's in the metadata that can cause this.

I need a way to search for what's wrong and since syncing is not an option I would go with PowerShell or even web browsing to find what's going on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:17 AM

Answers

• So we found out in the end that the client can sync SharePoint sites with limitations:

1. Since these sites contain multiple sub folders there could be issues with the sync (file name length for example.)
    2. The same can be said for opening files in office that gives weird alerts about the files...

Hope this help.

• Marked as answer by Rahamim Monday, April 29, 2019 1:38 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Rahamim,

What version of OS and OneDrive did you use?

"We tried to sync a site with a larger amount of items and didn't have this issue"

Did you sync the site on with OneDrive on the same machine?

For the problematic site's library, please check there are any required columns.

Please open Task Manager, click the Microsoft OneDrive process and select End Task.  Then restart OneDrive and see if this helps.

Also please update OneDrive to the latest one.

There are some articles about troubleshooting OneDrive high CPU issue for your reference:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/onedrive-high-cpu-usage-problem-windows-10

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c968088a-cabb-45bb-b171-0fe937ac1e1c/onedrive-for-business-uses-high-cpu-since-office-365-1712-88272148?forum=sharepointgeneral

https://appuals.com/fix-high-cpu-usage-by-onedrive-onedrive-exe/

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, December 14, 2018 6:17 AM
  • We are working with windows 10 1709 and the latest version of OneDrive.

We synced both the problematic site and the non problematic one on the same machine and the result was the same as I described in my question.

The issue isn't with the client but with the files in SharePoint. that is why I'm going with the metadata of the files being synced.

Monday, December 17, 2018 5:46 PM
  • Hi Rahamim,

Please check if there are required columns for these files in the problematic site. If yes, please make sure all required columns have values.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Dennis Guo Thursday, December 27, 2018 8:47 AM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:14 AM
  • Forgot to mention that these sites are our network drives uploaded to SharePoint. I check afterwards for special signs but from what I saw on OneDrive's tech support I shouldn't have any issues...
    Friday, December 28, 2018 11:14 PM
  • So we found out in the end that the client can sync SharePoint sites with limitations:

1. Since these sites contain multiple sub folders there could be issues with the sync (file name length for example.)
    2. The same can be said for opening files in office that gives weird alerts about the files...

Hope this help.

• Marked as answer by Rahamim Monday, April 29, 2019 1:38 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 1:38 PM