reasonable way to get over the 100GB limit of content databases? RRS feed

• Question

• I believe i know what he meant now. Its not the splitting via the sharepoint but via the sql database to manage the entire content database into various manageable parts, E.g. splitting up the database into parts of 50 gb each, but when the database is read it is considered as one database instead multiple files.

Hope I've kinda got this right, am gonna try this soon.

Hi there,

I am curious to know the result of this test. Do you think this is a reasonable way to get over the 100GB limit of content databases?

Regards,
    P.

-- PMDCI, Master in BA, PRINCE2, ITILv2, MCP, MCTS (SharePoint), MBSS (Dynamics CRM), VTSP 4
    • Split by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:14 AM New post in old closed thread
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:37 PM

Answers

• My opinion is that it would not be a workaround for the 100 GB recommending ceiling on content database sizing.

First of all, keep in mind that 100 GB is not a hard limit. There is nothing in SharePoint that will stop a database from getting larger than 100 GB, and it will probably still work at sizes larger than that. Microsoft's experience has shown that above that size, SharePoint content databases do however become much more difficult to manage and that's a point where the possibility of issues like corruption or failure become more prevalent.

Breaking the database's data files into smaller pieces can make those individual files on the file system of the SQL Server's storage location easier to manage, but it does not decrease the overall size of the database. It will still take a considerable amount of time to back up a database of that size, move it to a new instance or storage location, as well as other SQL Server management activities. Because of that, I would not consider that to be a compelling solution to the 100 GB recommendation. It could make some things better, but I don't think it does much to address the overall reasons behind that recommendation.

Ultimately, if you have to go over that 100 GB size you certainly can, but you have to understand the increased risk to your content by doing that. That is how I interpret Microsoft's recommendation in that area.

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Project Management with Project Server 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide. Also available - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Proposed as answer by André Lage Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:54 PM