Upgrading to 1607 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Configuration Manger current branch.  We have OSD configured and it is working fine.  We are currently deploying Windows 10 1511 to our systems.  Once in while, while looking back at some systems, we notice that those machines have been updated to Windows 10 1607. But, we are not deploying Windows 10 1607 with SCCM.  I am trying to trouble shoot this issue and find out how are the machines getting 1607 by themselves.  I have noticed that there's a C:\Windows.old folder at the root level.  When I open the folder, I go to the Windows folder and I am trying to look for the SCCM log files but there are none.   The log folders ccm, ccmcache, and ccmsetup folders are gone. I wonder if SCCM never got installed on the old OS and they got 1607 from Windows directly or, the log folders get moved to the new OS once the upgrade has taken place.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Friday, October 21, 2016 4:26 PM

Answers

• The Configuration Manager client is migrated when an in place upgrade occurs, performed either by Windows Update or by Configuration Manager. So if your saying there is no client present with no logs (c:\windows\ccm), that would indicate that the Windows 10 1511 environment prior to the upgrade had no client installed. You should be able to confirm this by checking your Configuration Manager DB for inventory data or simply the presence of a client object.

From your description it sounds like Automatic Updates is the likely cause of the upgrades to Windows 10 1607. The presence of a Windows.old folder is no indication of what method was used to perform the upgrade.

Do you have a Group Policy present disabling Automatic Updates? This needs to be present to stop your computers reaching out to Windows Update periodically. You should be able to review these log file locations to determine the time and circumstances of the upgrades.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928901

Cheers

Damon 

Friday, October 21, 2016 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your post.

Have you used a servicing plan? SCCM client never installed may cause computer got 1607 from Microsoft. Another cause for this issue is Client policy “ enable software update on client” deploy unsuccessfully when client installed and then group policy Specify Intranet Microsoft Update Service Location Local Policy not configured.

There are specific Group Policy settings that are used by Windows Update Agent (WUA) on client computers to connect to WSUS that runs on the software updates point. You could take a look at Group Policy Settings for Software Updates for details in:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712312.aspx#BKMK_AssociatedSettings .

Best Regards,

Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 9:48 AM

All replies

• The Configuration Manager client is migrated when an in place upgrade occurs, performed either by Windows Update or by Configuration Manager. So if your saying there is no client present with no logs (c:\windows\ccm), that would indicate that the Windows 10 1511 environment prior to the upgrade had no client installed. You should be able to confirm this by checking your Configuration Manager DB for inventory data or simply the presence of a client object.

From your description it sounds like Automatic Updates is the likely cause of the upgrades to Windows 10 1607. The presence of a Windows.old folder is no indication of what method was used to perform the upgrade.

Do you have a Group Policy present disabling Automatic Updates? This needs to be present to stop your computers reaching out to Windows Update periodically. You should be able to review these log file locations to determine the time and circumstances of the upgrades.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928901

Cheers

Damon 

Friday, October 21, 2016 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your post.

Have you used a servicing plan? SCCM client never installed may cause computer got 1607 from Microsoft. Another cause for this issue is Client policy “ enable software update on client” deploy unsuccessfully when client installed and then group policy Specify Intranet Microsoft Update Service Location Local Policy not configured.

There are specific Group Policy settings that are used by Windows Update Agent (WUA) on client computers to connect to WSUS that runs on the software updates point. You could take a look at Group Policy Settings for Software Updates for details in:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712312.aspx#BKMK_AssociatedSettings .

Best Regards,

Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ray

Monday, October 31, 2016 7:28 AM