Laptop Restarts randomly and Freezes with graphic errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I've been having some strange issues with my computer and would like some help with determining the cause.

It will do the following:

1. Restart randomly. Screen goes dark and immediately jumps to the Toshiba screen that is seen when the system starts
    2. System will freeze, leaving screen with green lines over what it was originally showing.
    3. System occasionally has Blue Screen Of Death instead of number 1.       

Note: Both of these errors happen regardless of the system's heat and my McAffe full scan returned no results (over 20 hours of scanning).  Using the system in safe mode causes these errors to stop, I think. In doing so, I was able to complete such a long scan when my computer was otherwise in a fit of its restarting "bouts."

System:
    Toshiba Satellite L775d-S7222
    Purchased 2 years ago. First error stated a year ago, second half a year ago.

Here is a link to my system and application log files for the last 24 hours. Note that I had error 1 at 7:58pm Wednesday march 12, 2014 and error 2 at 8:03 pm Wednesday march 12, 2014.  From researching these problems I found that these logs would show issues, but I am not sure how to interpolate them.  Could someone help me with what they are indicating is the problem or what I need to look at that would indicate the problem?
    File Link:  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzXPwCJTHQPcTWROTlA4SkM2TGc&usp=sharing
    Thanks a lot

Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:06 AM

Answers

• Inferno

You have quite a few issues and the log file is over 100,000 entries.  It might be a good idea to clear these logs once in a while.

In my first glance at this you have two active Malware applications and that in itself can cause freezes and crashes.

They both should be removed and MSE should be used in their place.  This may fix the problem.  If it doesnt please clear your event viewer logs and upload the following.

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to Onedrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post

We do need the actual DMP file as theyvcontain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  
    We prefer at least 2 DMP files to spot trends and confirm the cause.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here

If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

To remove the two active malware applications'

McAffe often contributes to BSOD'S

I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:16 AM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:35 AM

All replies

• Inferno

You have quite a few issues and the log file is over 100,000 entries.  It might be a good idea to clear these logs once in a while.

In my first glance at this you have two active Malware applications and that in itself can cause freezes and crashes.

They both should be removed and MSE should be used in their place.  This may fix the problem.  If it doesnt please clear your event viewer logs and upload the following.

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to Onedrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post

We do need the actual DMP file as theyvcontain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.  
    We prefer at least 2 DMP files to spot trends and confirm the cause.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here

If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

To remove the two active malware applications'

McAffe often contributes to BSOD'S

I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials

• Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:16 AM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:35 AM
  • Thanks for the help.

I have uploaded the dmp files and event viewer administrative logs here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzXPwCJTHQPcaHBaeUo4QjdjWTQ&usp=sharing

Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:06 AM
  • RMR

I have done these DMP files elsewhere and there are none from 2014 in your link.  Where else did you post these and where are the new DMP files.?

Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

These dmp files include several errors, and the analysis shows that BSOD probably caused by atikmpag.sys (represents ATI graphic card), mfeavfk.sys (Virus File System Filter Driver from company MCAfee and some unknown_modules.

I suggest you install the latest driver update for the  graphic card or just reinstall the drivers, keep the latest update of MCAfee.

kindly suggest you keep all drivers up-to-date, update the BIOS, perform a memory check if necessarily.

And it is  recommended to upload the latest dumps for analyzing.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 14, 2014 9:04 AM
  • Hello,

First, for some reason, in following the instructions for retrieving dump files (at C:\Windows\Minidump), these were the only dmp files I had, none from more recent.  Is there any other sets somewhere? I have been having these problems from at least the beginning of 2013, so the latest dmp files should have useful information, I think.

Second, I'll check and update my graphic card driver, and other drivers and BIOS. Does anyone think this would be causing my computer to restart as well as BSOD, as that does happen much more often?

Third, I have run a memory check and that returned no issues, if that is assistfull.

Thanks

Saturday, March 15, 2014 12:46 AM
  • Inferno505

For dumps to be produced. . .

▪ Page file must be on OS drive
    *Page file base allocation size must be > than installed physical RAM
    *Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
    *Set page file to system managed on the OS drive
    *Set system crash/recovery options to "kernel Memory Dump"
    *User account control must be running.
    * Sometimes SSD drives with older firmware do not create DMPS (update firmware)
    *Cleaner applications like Ccleaner delete DMP files so dont run them until you are fixed.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:48 AM
  • *Page file base allocation size must be > than installed physical RAM
    *Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
    *Set page file to system managed on the OS drive
    *Set system crash/recovery options to "kernel Memory Dump"

*User account control must be running.

Hello,

Ok, where am I able to set and verify these options? I have not altered any of these from their defaults or used any such cleaner applications. Would these  allow for more dump files to appear for recent events?

Also, I have checked and my ATI graphic card and its driver is up to date with the latest.

Thanks

Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:07 PM
  • Inferno

In various parts of the OS.  You can use search to find them in win 7.  Page file is in the system control panel

Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:40 PM