none
New Software Center Missing Package Name RRS feed

• Question

• The new software center shows all of our packages appropriately except it only shows the "Manufacturer", "Version" and PROGRAM NAME. Shouldn't it show the value shown in the package NAME field (not the program)? For instance if you have the following scenario in a package, App Catalog looks great, but now the new software center only shows "Adobe XI Install"

• Package Manufacturer: Adobe
    • Package Name: Reader
    • Package Version: XI
    • Program Name: Install

The new software center doesn't appear to use the package name at all which makes it impossible for our users to know what they are installing. All of our packages have a program called "Install" and "Uninstall". So our new software center simply shows all of the apps as "Install" with the manufacturer and version below it. Am I crazy for thinking this is not correct? If I updated the PROGRAM NAME to be the name of the software, that would fix the issue in Software Center, but then App Catalog would be messed up. It doesn't seem like Microsoft is using any standard between the 2 areas (manufacturer, name, version).

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:25 PM

All replies

• Dear Sir,

I test in my lab without any issue, it shows the package name, version, program name and manufacturer name correctly, like below:

What is your ConfigMgr version? 1511 or 1602?

Best regards,

Jimmy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:08 AM
  • We are running 1602. Below is what I currently see in the new software center:

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Some additional information - These are all apps assigned to users as AVAILABLE. If I actually run the package then the icon changes and the application package name appears as expected, but this isn't the case until you RUN the package.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:16 PM
  • Justin,

You are correct. This is using the program name rather than the package name. Possibly one to highlight to Microsoft since a lot of people use the standards you have (install/uninstall). It needs to display both package name and program name to be effective.

I've just logged user voice feedback about this. Please feel free to vote it up. https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/13100802-change-software-center-to-display-package-name-as

Here's one of mine the home lab. Very informative

Cheers Paul | http://sccmentor.wordpress.com

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:37 PM
  • Some additional information - These are all apps assigned to users as AVAILABLE. If I actually run the package then the icon changes and the application package name appears as expected, but this isn't the case until you RUN the package.

Dear Sir,

I have test and the issue just occurred when you deploy the package to user, it's OK when you deploy them to device.

Best regards,

Jimmy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:06 AM