Can't backup using Backup and restore center RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Vista SP2 and trying ti back up to a Toshiba External hard drive. I have not had a problem until recently. Now, every time I try it the backup fails. The message under details is "Access is denied". Any ideas on what to do about this? I'm using the same admin account that I've always ysed.
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to find the root cause of this issue, we need few more information.

a) Are you performing a complete PC backup?

b) Do you have complete file permission to the files you are backing up and to the destination you are saving the back up?

As a workaround you need to follow the steps provided below.

Check the permissions of the file or of the folder the file is saved in. Here's how:

1. Right-click the file or folder, and then clickProperties.

2. Click theSecurity tab.

3. UnderGroup or user names, click your name to see the permissions you have.

To open a file, you need to have read permission.

Check to see if the file is encrypted. Here's how:

4. Right-click the file, and then clickProperties.

5. Click theGeneral tab, and then click Advanced.

If the Encrypt contents to secure data check box is selected, you need the certificate that was used to encrypt the file to open it.

If you find any difficulty in performing the above provided steps then you may follow the link below.

How do I open a file if I get an access denied message?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/How-do-I-open-a-file-if-I-get-an-access-denied-message

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 21, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Yes I am running a full backup. To the best of my knowledge I should have complete permissions for both the files I'm backing up and the destination. The work around is fine, but how do I figure out which of the thousands of files on my system is the problem? Really it seems that the file or folder name in question should be returned in the diagnostics when the back up fails. The fact that it doesn't is a major oversight by the developers.
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:57 AM