Microsoft Teams excessive bandwidth usage on shared computers RRS feed

• Question

• Since rolling out Teams we've noticed a pattern of excessive bandwidth usage on numerous computers. Windows is reporting the Teams application is using up to 30-40GB of bandwidth a day! But, the users of these machines aren't actually using Teams for anything other than a few conversations. There's no video. No meetings. No data sharing. No files. Nothing that would indicate more than a few MB's of data. We've also noticed that the machines impacted are typically shared computers, where multiple users are logged in at the same time. 

Recap of issue:

• Appears to impact mostly shared computer systems where the users have administrative rights. 
    • Impacting multiple versions of Windows 10. 
    • Could be possible that users signing into multiple machines are causing this to occur. 
    • We think the issue could be related to users sitting at the "Enter your work, school, or Microsoft account" splash screen. We've noticed when this sign in screen appears, a loading screen sits behind it constantly doing something in the background. 

Before I open a ticket with Microsoft, is anyone else seeing excessive bandwidth usage from the Teams client on shared computers? 

• Edited by C0rmang Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi C0rmang,

This phenomenon is so strange. I think it is related to the shared computer. In order to get a better understanding of this situation, more information is needed.

Moreover, many network questions should be taken into consideration.

When multiple users/devices access Office 365 using Network Address Translation (NAT) or Port Address Translation (PAT), you need to ensure that the devices hidden behind each publicly routable IP address do not exceed the supported number.

To mitigate this risk, ensure adequate Public IP addresses are assigned to the NAT pools to prevent port exhaustion. Port exhaustion will cause internal end users and devices to face issues when connecting to the Office 365 services.

For more details, you can refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/prepare-network.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 6:46 AM
  • Hi C0rmang,

This phenomenon is so strange. I think it is related to the shared computer. In order to get a better understanding of this situation, more information is needed.

Moreover, many network questions should be taken into consideration.

When multiple users/devices access Office 365 using Network Address Translation (NAT) or Port Address Translation (PAT), you need to ensure that the devices hidden behind each publicly routable IP address do not exceed the supported number.

To mitigate this risk, ensure adequate Public IP addresses are assigned to the NAT pools to prevent port exhaustion. Port exhaustion will cause internal end users and devices to face issues when connecting to the Office 365 services.

For more details, you can refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/prepare-network.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

We have 650 devices, no where near the limit of approximately 6,000 per public IP address. 

This issue appears to be a bug with Teams. When Teams loads and shows the logon screen, there's a a loading screen behind this screen which appears to be downloading data over and over again. We have been able to recreate the issue with multiple test machines. Some machines download around 100MB and then stop. Other machines download data over and over again. We'll be opening a case with Microsoft on this issue. 

Friday, January 24, 2020 2:43 PM
  • Hi C0rmang,

Thanks for your feedback. If there is any update, please feel free to share us the solution.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:45 AM
  • We've been monitoring this issue but have yet to come up with a solution. Basically users are logging into Shared devices and then not clicking the "Sign In" button for Teams. 

If the login screen stays open, the following appears in the logs (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\SquirrelSetup.log):

I believe the Teams update engine is flawed. It appears when Teams.exe is launched, it checks for updates and stages them. However, it doesn't appear these updates commit to the current working directory until after the user clicks Sign In. In parallel to this process is appears a loop is checking if Teams.exe has launched. Eventually it kills the process and re-launches Teams.exe. At this point I can only assume the staging directory is purged and re-downloaded again. The process is repeated until the user either logs off, signs in, or kills the Teams.exe process. 

The solution to this problem is quite simple. Allow Teams to auto-login rather than displaying the sign in page. Or better yet, install Teams.exe to the Program Files directory like it should be... 

• Edited by C0rmang Monday, February 3, 2020 1:49 PM
    Monday, February 3, 2020 1:43 PM
  • Hi C0rmang and Sharon

I have been testing Teams.exe and I have also experience high network utilization while launching Teams.    While using Wireshark and Resource Monitor I can see Teams using ~3.43 mbps and seem is updating the files at the cache folder... C:\Users\<<UserAccount>>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache\Cache

I went into the Teams-Setting and check the "Disable GPU hardware acceleration (requires restarting Teams) thinking will have a better experience but still seen high network utilization at launch of Teams.

I'm wondering what is updating in the cache folder ?????

Thanks, PRJUANL

VB 2005 \ C# 2005

• Edited by prjuanl Tuesday, February 4, 2020 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2020 7:15 PM
  • Hi C0rmang and PRJUANL,

As C0rmang said, the workaround for this issue maybe allow Teams to auto-login rather than displaying the sign in page.

Let’s wait for the further information. 

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Thursday, February 6, 2020 9:24 AM
  • Anyone seen an update on this? 

We are struggling with preventing Teams from auto-starting as well. 

Teams is currently our #1 bandwidth hog in our 200+ locations. It's more than double the next closest data hog.

Combined with it running multiple times on local machines it is resulting in poor performance and complaints from our user-base.

These are Shared user machines that typically don't even use Teams other than an occasional Region/District meeting. So there is no need or benefit for it to auto start.

It shouldn't be this hard to prevent an application from auto-starting and being so persistent in trying to reenable itself. 

Thursday, March 26, 2020 4:35 PM
  • Anyone seen an update on this? 

We are struggling with preventing Teams from auto-starting as well. 

Teams is currently our #1 bandwidth hog in our 200+ locations. It's more than double the next closest data hog.

Combined with it running multiple times on local machines it is resulting in poor performance and complaints from our user-base.

These are Shared user machines that typically don't even use Teams other than an occasional Region/District meeting. So there is no need or benefit for it to auto start.

It shouldn't be this hard to prevent an application from auto-starting and being so persistent in trying to reenable itself. 

None. We're seeing the issue get worse. I've reached out to our Fast Track Team and they weren't able to find any information. It's quite clear there's an issue with Shared Devices. I'm not sure if it's an issue with multiple users on a single machine or if it's related to a user logged into multiple devices. All I know is that we have machines downloading gigabytes worth of information every 15-20 minutes. And they're all shared devices. 
    Thursday, March 26, 2020 5:59 PM
    • Edited by C0rmang Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:22 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:04 PM