none
Hyper-V R2 Cluster and iSCSI RAID RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have some questions about Hyper-V R2 Clustering and iSCSI. I am new to SAN and iSCSI, we have always used internal storage as our data storage needs have been light.

We currently run three Hyper-V stand alone servers with internal storage. As our environment has grown and we have about 15 VM's single point of failure has become a worry to us. We have decided to implement Hyper-V clustering with 3 Dell PowerEdge R610 and MD3000i iSCSI Array and two Dell PowerConnect Switches.

The servers will have 24 GB Memory, 2 Quad Core CPU's and 2 Quad NIC's 1 Quad will be TOE iSCSI enabled the other for 4 for 1 managment NIC and 3 for VM's. 2 servers to run the VM's and one as a Hot Spare. We can add additional servers to cluster if we need to scale up and add more VM's.

Questions:

1. What is the recommended RAID config for the iSCSI array for the cluster? I have seen RAID 10 recommended.
    2. Is there a performance hit with iSCSI compared to internal storage. I would imagine some but how much?
    3. Most of the VM's have low disk IO requirments but there will be a couple servers with SQL 2005 on Windows Server 2003 installed. Is it better to assign the SQL VM's all VHD's for all drives or make the System partition a VHD (which it has to be) and then make the transaciton log and DB's drives direct access to the iSCSI array. If we do the latter will the SQL Server VM's still be clustered fault tolerant?
    4. For the iSCSI array (I know, this is the Hyper-V forum but I think relevant) it will have quad NIC's two to each switch and each Hyper-V host will have two NICs into each switch can and should the NIC's be teamed or Link Aggregated. Will this theoratically double bandwidth or just provide fault tolerance?

Thanks in advance and also if you can point me to any Hyper-V R2 cluster iSCSI SAN best practices docs or whitepapers I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:44 PM