none
Format Disk IF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

How do i set an OSD task sequence to only format a drive in certain circumstances?

I have a task sequence which formats 2 drives, applies an OS image to one of them, joins a domain and then copies a standard set of static data to the other drive. 

Since the data drive is nearly 1TB of static data, I only want it to format and copy on a bare metal first build and then have the data persist through subsequence runs of the same task sequence (re-images).

While I could keep 2 copies of the task sequence and have the "Format Disk 1" and "Powershell copy To D:" steps disabled (or removed), there has to be a smarter way to do this surely?

Likewise, I could keep enabling and disabling these steps in the task sequence - this process is carried out on nearly 100 different servers with a combined 30 images and 150 reimages per month.. not something I want to have to manage!

Any input?

Ben

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:37 PM

Answers

• There are conditions you can use...what I would do if the data is static and there is a consistent file I would setup a condition on the file system that if that file exists, skip the step.
    • Marked as answer by Ben Bell Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:46 PM

All replies

• There are conditions you can use...what I would do if the data is static and there is a consistent file I would setup a condition on the file system that if that file exists, skip the step.
    • Marked as answer by Ben Bell Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:46 PM
  • So simple... its a little embarassing to admit I've been working on trying to figure this out for nearly 4 hours.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:54 PM