Standard User Analyzer - Microsoft Compatibility Toolkit 5.6 - No (valid) log Error RRS feed

• Question

• Information:

Test machine running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Machine is bound to an Active Directory domain

Logged in as a standard user.

I am testing some applications for compatibility in my company on this machine.  I am currently trying to utilize the "Standard User Analyzer" tool to determine the shims I need to apply to make these applications work successfully.

Here's what happens:

-I launch Standard User Analyzer

-I "Browse" to "c:\programs\app.exe"  (we have the applications housed in this folder instead of Program Files)

-I uncheck the "Elevate" option, and launch the application.

-I complete some operations within the application to allow the Standard User Analyzer to determine the best course of action.

-I exit the application.

-I receive the error:  

---------------------------
    Standard User Analyzer
    Failed to load log file C:\Users\rryan\AppData\Local\Temp\sua :

No (valid) log file is found.

OK   

After clicking okay, nothing happens.  It does not provide me with any mitigation suggestions.

Once my account is verified, I can post a screenshot of the error. 

I would appreciate any assistance you can provide so that I can utilize this application.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for my dilatory reply.

-I complete some operations within the application to allow the Standard User Analyzer to determine the best course of action.

When you launch the application, is there a UAC dialog prompt? Because according to my test, when login with standard user account and run SUA to test application, when click lunch, it do need administrator permission to execute this operation.

For your problem, it should be permission problem. Please check it.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:09 AM
    Friday, May 8, 2015 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How about your problem now? According to your description, this problem can be caused by User Account Permission problem, you can try to use Administrator Account make a test again.

In addition, you can follow the steps in the following library for test:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc838034(v=ws.10).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:11 AM
  • Tried that.  That did not work, either.  This seems to be a common problem with people, which has yet to be resolved.

Plus, using the administrator account is NOT a solution.  This is the "Standard User Analyzer." If I am running it as an administrator account, it defeats the purpose of the tool.

The instructions for the tool even state that using it with the administrator option is not best practice.

I'm also not sure why you would direct me to a "test" scenario thinking that would resolve my issue.  It doesn't even come close.  I used that page months ago when I was learning how to use this.  Not an appropriate answer at this point.

An actual resolution would be greatly appreciated. 

• Edited by RobinsonUS Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 8:29 PM
  • I'm kinda irritated that I posted this over a week ago, and have been trying to get this figured out for over 2 weeks, and there is no answer from you guys on this.

How about a response?  I shouldn't have to pay Microsoft for tech support for this issue---it's a fairly common issue from what I have seen, so let's go, please.  It's hurting our productivity and security.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 8:13 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my dilatory reply.

When you launch the application, is there a UAC dialog prompt? Because according to my test, when login with standard user account and run SUA to test application, when click lunch, it do need administrator permission to execute this operation.

For your problem, it should be permission problem. Please check it.

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:09 AM
    Friday, May 8, 2015 8:53 AM
  • In addition, here is my testing screenshot:

Friday, May 8, 2015 8:55 AM