Exchange 2007 on SBS08 Hyper-V to physical Server 08R2 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Hyper-V VM that is a SBS08 with Exchange 2007 on it with other third party programs. I want to move/migrate ONLY Exchange 2007 to a Physical 08R2. The third party programs need to stay. Basically I want to pull Exchange out of our Virtual Environment. 

What is a best and safe way to this with as little down time as possible?

Any help tips are appreciated.

My biggest worry is moving exchange from a SBS08 to 08R2.

Also in worst case if I need to, I will move everything from SBS08 to 08R2.
    • Edited by SEFNCO Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:41 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:19 PM

Answers

• not sure if you can add another server in your SBS environment if yes then then setup the physical sever and configure the exchange on it. and move all mailboxes from virtual to physical. Else may end up doing cross-forest migration.

Where Technology Meets Talent

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Monday, April 15, 2013 2:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:47 AM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Yes you can do this.

Install 2008R2 on physical server and after this prepare this server to meet the prerequisites for Exchange 2007.

Once this is done start deploying a Exchange 2007 server on this server, now you will have 2 Exchange 2007 servers in your organisation.

Now plan to move all mailboxes to you new Exchanges server, once your new server is up and running fine.

Plan for the decommission of Exchange 2007 which is on SBS Server.

Note. In SBS environment other server should not be a DC, only SBS server should be the DC.
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:07 AM

All replies

• not sure if you can add another server in your SBS environment if yes then then setup the physical sever and configure the exchange on it. and move all mailboxes from virtual to physical. Else may end up doing cross-forest migration.

Where Technology Meets Talent

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Monday, April 15, 2013 2:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:47 AM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Yes you can do this.

Install 2008R2 on physical server and after this prepare this server to meet the prerequisites for Exchange 2007.

Once this is done start deploying a Exchange 2007 server on this server, now you will have 2 Exchange 2007 servers in your organisation.

Now plan to move all mailboxes to you new Exchanges server, once your new server is up and running fine.

Plan for the decommission of Exchange 2007 which is on SBS Server.

Note. In SBS environment other server should not be a DC, only SBS server should be the DC.
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:07 AM