none
Exchange Erroring Out on MHTML Message from SSRS. Content Conversion Limit Exceeded.

    Question

  • Exchange Server 2013. SQL Server Reporting Services 2014.

    We have a subscription in SSRS that generates multiple reports sent to multiple people within and outside our organization.  These reports are sent in MHTML format.  SSRS sends the message to the recipients through our Exchange Server.  In our test, we discovered that most of the reports get to the recipients.  However, one report fails to arrive.  Yet no error was reported to SSRS or to the user.  Exchange simply failed the message.  When we looked at the Exchange error logs we found the following:

    {[{LRT=};{LED=554 5.3.4 Content conversion limit(s) exceeded;

    STOREDRV.Deliver.Exception:ConversionFailedException; Failed to process message due to a

    permanent exception with message The content conversion limit has been exceeded.

    ConversionFailedException: The content conversion limit has been exceeded. [Stage:

    CreateReplay]};{FQDN=};{IP=}]}

    The report (the MIME file sent to Exchange) is under 1MB.  The report is simple, containing text and some embedded images.  But this is true of all the reports, the ones that went through and the one that failed.

    WHAT might be causing this issue?  Any suggestions at a fix?  Thanks for any help.

    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:58 PM

Answers

  • THE SOLUTION.

    It appears that Exchange has a limit to the number of "body parts" (MAXBODYPARTS=250).  The MHTML email body sent to Exchange from SSrS contained embedded images (generated by an indicator control in each row).  We removed the gauge panel and indicator control from the data row and replaced with a textbox that had its fill color set using a SWITCH clause, thus emulating the gauge/indicator functionality.  Now the email goes through and we still have the functionality we desire in the report.

    • Marked as answer by Doug Pruiett Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:57 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    I understood that the subscription report is not delivered to the recipients and you received the error "554-5.3.4 Content Conversion Limit Exceeded".

    According to the below article which states that the total number of attachments should be less than 250.

    MaxBodyPartsTotal: this limit specifies the maximum number of message parts that can be used in a MIME multipart message.

    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397226(v=exchg.141).aspx

    Regards,

    David


    • Proposed as answer by touchtro Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:14 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:26 AM
    Moderator
  • THE SOLUTION.

    It appears that Exchange has a limit to the number of "body parts" (MAXBODYPARTS=250).  The MHTML email body sent to Exchange from SSrS contained embedded images (generated by an indicator control in each row).  We removed the gauge panel and indicator control from the data row and replaced with a textbox that had its fill color set using a SWITCH clause, thus emulating the gauge/indicator functionality.  Now the email goes through and we still have the functionality we desire in the report.

    • Marked as answer by Doug Pruiett Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 6:57 PM