none
Group policy results different from Group policy object

Question

• I have tried to change a GPO to remove a proxy that we were using for Internet access for a group of users.  I have removed the proxy from the group policy object, restarted the PC's numerous times and ran GPUpdate /force to no avail.  When I run the group policy result for an affected user on one of the affected PC's, the group policy result still shows the proxy with the winning GPO.  When I check the winning GPO, the use proxy option is showing as unticked. It is underlined in green, so therefore I expect that this should be applied, but it does not seem to be applying to the PCs. The DC in this site is Server 2008 standard and the PC's have been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.  This change was applied a few months ago and it still hasn't taken affect.

Is this a problem with the server not managing Win 10 properly?

The users have restricted access with a shared desktop, so they have no options to change the settings within the browser themselves.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• I suppose you are talking about group policy preferences internet settings :-)

Which IE version did you select? And did you ensure to edit the XML to verify it will pass the hidden filterfile for iexplore.exe versions?

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Hi Martin,

You are correct, that is the setting and the version in IE 10.  The XML file does not have any settings in it for the proxy server, just as the GPO object.

It seems like the PC's are not updating from the GPO.

thanks,

James

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:42 PM
  • > It seems like the PC's are not updating from the GPO.

Any errors in event viewer? Application and Group Policy eventlogs...
    And just to make sure: You are aware of the issues with MS16-072?

In addition, you might enable gpp debug logging for Internet Settings - maybe this debug log contains useful information: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2008/07/18/enabling-group-policy-preferences-debug-logging-using-the-rsat/

Hard to assist properly via a forum :-)

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 01, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in replying, but it was a holiday weekend here. :)

I am not back at this client until Friday, so I will check the PC's for the event logs and also enable the debugging to see if it gives me any useful information.

Just to confirm, the 8 PC's that are not updating are actually Win 7, there were never upgraded to Win 10 due to in house software being used. 

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, are there any results? We appreciate for any update and feedback.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 05, 2017 12:22 PM
  • Hi Wendy,

thanks for that info.  I will need to mark your post as the answer as I cannot gain access to the PC's that have this problem due to them being in another site and the users not being in today.

Thanks for your help with this issue.

thanks,

James

Friday, May 05, 2017 3:31 PM