Planning hardware infrastructure/layout/roadmap to System Center 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Currently we are running all of the versions just prior to the 2012 release. So we have SCCM 2007 R3, SCOM 2007 R2, SCSM 2010 CU3, etc. We are basically using all applications included in the system center suite prior to 2012: dpm, scom, sccm, csm, scvmm. The main problem is that we have outgrown our hardware where the majority of these apps are running on.

What I was wondering is if there was any documentation with regards to implementing the entire System Center 2012 suite as a whole. For instance, I am looking for documentation that treats the entire System Center 2012 implementation as one huge plan that encorporates hardware requirements, database requirements, high availability options, and guidelines to roadmap this installation together correctly so that in the end the entire System Center 2012 suite works together the way it is supposed to. Currently all of the documentation that I have found treats each application seperately. For example, for sccm 2012 it recommends a side-by-side migration using the migration utilities built in to sccm 2012.

Ideally, I am looking for some guidance with regards to the # of servers required for the entire suite and also how to lay this out as far as SQL servers, physical servers, high availabiliy options, virtual servers and if any of the applications can share DB's. Also, I am aware of the fact that the DW that is built with the SCSM install should be the only DW for the entire 2012 suite, but I am not sure how to go about laying this out.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• There's no single document available. You have to lookup the requirements for each single product. That question cannot be answered here in the forums. It's a typical consultancy work (several days).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Ok if this is the case, is there any way to determine based on the requirments which system center 2012 apps can run on the same server? Currently, we have SCOM, SCCM with FEP and SCVMM all installed on the same physical server, but this server is way overutilized and we have outgrown this implementation. Since System Center 2012, if configured and implemented correctly, should work together the way it is designed I am surprised there is no documentation out there that factors in companies wanting to plan / design / implement the entire System Center 2012 suite as a whole. We rely on SCOM heavily for alerting not only for all of our servers but also several applications. Our SCOM environment is so critical that moving forward and planning for SCOM 2012 it is more than likely going to have to be highly available. We also use SCSM and DPM heavily. SCCM is also used frequently in our environment for software distribution, software updates, fep and reporting. We are looking into using some microsoft planning credits with regards to using a consultant help us plan our system center 2012 roadmap. Just wondering if you have come across any other companies trying to accomplish a similar task? Since each product has its own requirements and there is no talk of # of sql servers needed for the suite as well as which products can be installed on the same server it makes it very difficult to plan out the implementation.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Is there a webpage that summarizes the hardware requirments for all of the System Center 2012 products?
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:28 PM
  • There's no single page as far as I know. Here are the supported configs for ConfigMgr: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx#BKMK_SupConfigSiteSystemReq

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:39 PM