Remote Desktop to Windows 2012 R2 Server works at some locations but not others using same client computer RRS feed

• Question

• We just set up a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine on a Comcast Business Gateway.  The server has two NICs; one is connected to an internal Linksys WRT1900ACS router, and the other is connected directly to the Comcast gateway.  The internal office network runs on the Linksys router, and the remote connections into the server itself come through the Comcast gateway.  Both NICs have static IPs; the one connected to the Comcast gateway is configured with one of the Comcast-assigned static IPs as the primary IP address, and the other four Comcast-assigned static IPs are additional addresses loaded into the advanced properties of that NIC.  The other NIC has a local static IP handled by the Linksys router.

I can remote into the server reliably from within the town in which it's located, but when I try to remote in from outside the immediate area, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  I can even remote in using my Android phone reliably from within the town, but unreliably from elsewhere.  Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening?

I suspect an issue with DNS lookups, but am not sure how to resolve it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin Stephenson

Creative Computing Solutions

Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Saturday, May 13, 2017 5:58 PM