Monitoring Resource Pressure on my Exchange 2007 servers RRS feed

• Question

• We've got the Exchange Server 2007 MP installed on our SCOM 2007 R2 system. We'd like to be able to monitor our MSExchangeTransport for Resource Pressure changes. We're getting Warnings in the Application event log but they're not making it to SCOM. I can't see a specific monitor for them in SCOM. Would just creating a custom monitor do or is there anything native to the MP that would monitor this? This is an example of one of the events we'd like to watch for:

Type: Warning
    Source: MSExchangeTransport
    Event ID: 15004
    Event Time: 1/13/2010 11:11:14 AM
    User: n/a
    Computer: SERVERNAME
    Description:
    Resource pressure increased from Medium to High.
    Resource utilization of the following resources exceed the normal level:
    Version buckets = 124 [High] [Normal=40 Medium=60 High=100]
    Back pressure caused the following components to be disabled:
    Inbound mail submission from Hub Transport servers
    Inbound mail submission from the Internet
    Mail submission from the Pickup directory
    Mail submission from the Replay directory
    Mail submission from Mailbox servers
    Mail delivery to remote domains
    The following resources are in the normal state:
    Queue database and disk space ("D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\mail.que") = 4% [Normal] [Normal=95% Medium=97% High=99%]
    Queue database logging disk space ("D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\data\Queue\") = 4% [Normal] [Normal=95% Medium=97% High=99%]
    Private bytes = 9% [Normal] [Normal=71% Medium=73% High=75%]
    Physical memory load = 81% [limit is 94% before message dehydration occurs.]

Orange County District Attorney
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:16 PM

Answers

• Looks like the 15004 event is not captured by the Exchange 2007 management pack.  If you are interested in the event then I suggest creating a custom rule to capture the event and create an alert or event in the Operations Manager database.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:29 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:17 PM

All replies

• Looks like the 15004 event is not captured by the Exchange 2007 management pack.  If you are interested in the event then I suggest creating a custom rule to capture the event and create an alert or event in the Operations Manager database.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    • Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:29 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Yes, I just noticed that myself. I see that the 15002 event is captured however. It looks like the event 15002 reveals that the Resource Pressure is constant at a certain level whereas event 15004 shows a trend.

I'll go ahead and create a custom rule. Thanks for the help!
    Orange County District Attorney
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:28 PM