none
Project Online Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!!!

I am new to Project Online. So far, I have created many users (Project Lite) and (1) Project Manager (Project Full).

The PM can create Projects and share them with other users. The problem is when the PM wants to grant Access to other users, the team member can´t edit or make any changes to the Project.

In summary, I have some sort of problem with permissions. Can you please give me some guidelines on how to setup a basic level of permissions so the PM can grant access to other users (team members).

Thanks for your support!

Ignacio 

Monday, July 7, 2014 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Isa,

In order for the team members to update task progress, they have to be assigned on tasks by the PM. Once the project PUBLISHED (and not only saved), the team members will see the assignments in their task or timesheet page.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

• Marked as answer by isa7667 Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:22 PM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 4:35 PM
  • The Project Lite license does not cover your use case. Project Lite users are only allowed to interact with their own assignments and cannot edit the project schedule. Every user that requires edit permissions on a project must have a full license.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:20 PM

All replies

• By default Team Members does not have ability to change the project , which makes sense, if they do what is the purpose of Project Manager.

One has to be very careful while setting up the security model in Project Server, since Project Server does not have option to restore to default in security.

Please refer following TechNet and all related links to understand the concept.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161361.aspx

Note : Out of the box Project Online is set to use SharePoint Security Mode, Before implementing any security model plan which mode needs to be configured based on your requirements.

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Monday, July 7, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Thank you Hrishi!!!

I was checking this link before, it is a great start =). I try changing permissions, but something is still blocking  users from making changes. This is how far I got,

Project Manager (PM):

- Creates a Project and Share this Project with Users (This is working)

- Grant Access to Users so that they can make changes (Not working). By default the system does not allow team members update progress. I can´t figure out how to change this.

It will be great if you can give me a simple example or (step by step) on how to apprach this simple configuration.

Thanks for your support!!

Ignacio

• Edited by isa7667 Monday, July 7, 2014 4:20 PM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Hi Isa,

In order for the team members to update task progress, they have to be assigned on tasks by the PM. Once the project PUBLISHED (and not only saved), the team members will see the assignments in their task or timesheet page.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

• Marked as answer by isa7667 Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:22 PM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 4:35 PM
  • The Project Lite license does not cover your use case. Project Lite users are only allowed to interact with their own assignments and cannot edit the project schedule. Every user that requires edit permissions on a project must have a full license.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:20 PM