GroupBy behaves awkward RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm trying to get a listing of all files in a folder (and every sub-folder) grouped by directory. This is what I've got so far and which should work from my understanding:

Get-Childitem $Path -Recurse | Where {!$_.PsIsContainer} | Format-Table Name -GroupBy Directory

I'd expect that this outputs one table for each directory. But instead it does output one table for each file! I don't understand why this is happening, but I'm also new to PowerShell.

So here is an example of the output I'm getting:

Directory: C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Test

Name
    ----
    New Text Document (2).txt

Directory: C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Test

Name
    ----
    New Text Document.txt

It outputs two tables despite it's the same folder. I especially don't understand it because the documentation says the following:

"You can also use the GroupBy parameter of the formatting cmdlets (such as Format-Table [m2] and Format-List [m2]) to group objects. Unlike Group-Object, which creates a single table with a row for each property value, the GroupBy parameters create a table for each property value with a row for each item that has the property value."

In case this is a bug in Format-Table could someone help me with a workaround?

I'd be very happy if someone could help me with this.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Sunday, May 30, 2010 4:38 PM

Answers

• Strange to me also, looks like 'Directory' value for each file is different. As a workaround I would suggest using DirectoryName instead. Latter is just string, and works as expected. 'Directory' is of System.IO.DirectoryInfo type and maybe that's the problem.

• Marked as answer by Shay Levi Monday, May 31, 2010 7:40 AM
    Monday, May 31, 2010 6:05 AM

All replies

• Strange to me also, looks like 'Directory' value for each file is different. As a workaround I would suggest using DirectoryName instead. Latter is just string, and works as expected. 'Directory' is of System.IO.DirectoryInfo type and maybe that's the problem.

• Marked as answer by Shay Levi Monday, May 31, 2010 7:40 AM
    Monday, May 31, 2010 6:05 AM
  • I agree with Bartek. In addition, you should also sort the results first if you don't want to have duplicated groups:

PS > help Format-Table -Parameter groupby

-GroupBy <Object>
        Arranges sorted output in separate tables based on a property value. For example, you can use GroupBy to list services in separate tables based on their status.
        Enter an expression or a property of the output. The output must be sorted before you send it to Format-Table .
        (...)

Get-Childitem $path -Recurse | Where-Object {!$_.PsIsContainer} | Sort-Object DirectoryName | Format-Table Name -GroupBy DirectoryName
    Shay Levy [MVP]
    http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/ScriptFanatic
    PowerShell Toolbar
    Monday, May 31, 2010 7:40 AM