none
Microsoft projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, im using microsoft Projects 10, having some challenges. If I have a set duration, and hours and units, the units never change. For example, If I have a job that we need done in 22 days, and it will take 712 hours the units is 2.86 which is great, but if I change the hours to say 1000, the units dont change? can anyone help me it has to be something small maybe in options but its driving me mental
    Friday, October 12, 2012 3:43 PM

Answers

• Sorry seems you already provided more info while I was typing. I got late :(

Since you added its a Fixed Duration task and Unit was fixed to 2.86 that means 2 variables are already set. So even if you now increase the Work you won't be able to see change in Unit. Go to resource Usage View and insert Peak Column. This Column will show the unit allocation of resource which would increase/decrease based on Work you add/decrease. In 2010 Assignment Unit and Peak are defined individually project now tracks assignments units value and a calculated value called Peak. So, even if you are not noticing any change in assignment unit, its peak value would be surely changing while maintaining the initial assignment unit to reschedule addition/deletion of work.

Refer - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 12, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Hi Anderson,

Yeah because till 2007 assignment unit used to represent increase/decrease in %unit when change in work hours, as the same field was capturing workload and maximum assignment. Which was later changed in 2010 to eliminate dual dependencies. As a result of these changes the Assignment Units field is no longer automatically modified to be greater or less than default value of 100%; as a consequence the field does not show up increased or decreased % allocation (from what was originally assigned, so even if you would have initially assigned 4.5 and then increase the Work hours 4.5 will stay intact and Peak will increase).

Refer to above link which clearly states the reason for change and way both fields are calculated in 2010. Happy Scheduling!!

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:35 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Double click on the task and please check Task type. Most probably if you are using auto schedule it might have set to "Fixed Units"

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:59 PM
  • I tried that,  im more familiar with the 03 version, but they upgraded here at work, I have 22 days, and thats the fixed duration, effort driven is checked off, and no matter how much I change the hours, Units will not change, Im even willing to send this to someone and take a look
    Friday, October 12, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, if a task is in manual mode, you will not get an option of setting task type. So, to get task type defined you need to change to Auto mode.

Secondly, Microsoft Project schedules tasks based on three variables: duration, units (or resources), and work. You get to choose two of these variables, and Microsoft Project calculates the third. Equation is Work = Duration X Units. There are 3 task types - Fixed Work (where you can define 712 hrs), Fixed Duration (where you can define 22 d) and Fixed Units (where you can define 2.86). But at anytime you need to define just 2 parameters as said before.

As you mentioned you defined Duration -22d, Work - 712 hrs, Unit - 2.86 (please correct me if I'm wrong here); so when you later changed Work to 1000 hrs your Unit still remained as 2.86 (which have probability that task would have been fixed work and after you increased to 1000 hrs - Duration would have got adjusted and made resource over-allocated but not changed his units).

Hope this post will help you clarify further and you can change the task type so as to meet your requirement: http://chriswoodill.blogspot.in/2009/03/how-to-use-microsoft-project-task-type.html

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 12, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Sorry seems you already provided more info while I was typing. I got late :(

Since you added its a Fixed Duration task and Unit was fixed to 2.86 that means 2 variables are already set. So even if you now increase the Work you won't be able to see change in Unit. Go to resource Usage View and insert Peak Column. This Column will show the unit allocation of resource which would increase/decrease based on Work you add/decrease. In 2010 Assignment Unit and Peak are defined individually project now tracks assignments units value and a calculated value called Peak. So, even if you are not noticing any change in assignment unit, its peak value would be surely changing while maintaining the initial assignment unit to reschedule addition/deletion of work.

Refer - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/04/29/assignment-units-in-project-2010.aspx

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 12, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Oki thank you I found this helpful, it works, but is there still anyway that one could make it so it does show up if not its ok
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:15 PM
  • :) show what? Project doesn't consider this as in-correct which in fact is right; it says that based on your initial assignment units it will calculate peak to show the usage units %. Which in a sense is appropriate as it keeps the 2 calculations defined and not over-lapped. Please let us know if we you need further solution on this.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

I am also having the same issue, In MS Projects 2010 I am under the Resource name and we have the work allocated as for example 1000 hours which will require 4.5 people in order to complete the task. We use this as a way to measure peak loading within the business In MS projects 2003, when you sell a job to a customer and you increase for example the mechanical engineering to add an additional 300 hours making the total work hours to 1200 eg.. Then that would change the units (People) Required to do the work. Can you shear how we can connect the 2 so that when we change the work hours it will reflext the units. Currently if we change the units the hours will change however not vise versa?

Hope you can help

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:25 PM
  • I read this message however in the old version of 2003 you could change the work hours to reflect the unit of measures.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Hi Anderson,

Yeah because till 2007 assignment unit used to represent increase/decrease in %unit when change in work hours, as the same field was capturing workload and maximum assignment. Which was later changed in 2010 to eliminate dual dependencies. As a result of these changes the Assignment Units field is no longer automatically modified to be greater or less than default value of 100%; as a consequence the field does not show up increased or decreased % allocation (from what was originally assigned, so even if you would have initially assigned 4.5 and then increase the Work hours 4.5 will stay intact and Peak will increase).

Refer to above link which clearly states the reason for change and way both fields are calculated in 2010. Happy Scheduling!!

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:35 PM