none
Recovery point creation failing on secondary DPM 2012 SP1 server RRS feed

• Question

• Since upgrading to DPM 2012 SP1, we have had daily problems on our secondary server with intermittent recovery point creation.  I never had this problem with DPM 2010 or 2007.  It's frustrating, because you have to manually create the recovery points after this failure.  The manual creation normally succeeds.

I have a case open with Microsoft, but they've been of little help, so I'm trying to see if anyone else has this problem.  All they say is they have never seen this before.  I don't know how that makes it irrelevant, but it seems like it does.  The error is:

No recovery point was created, either because synchronization has not occurred since the last recovery point was created, or because no changes were found during synchronization. (ID 208)

I can virtually guarantee that changes have been made.  The backup is of the system drive on various systems.  The failing system changes from day to day.  If nothing else, at least files in the temporary folder have been changed.  Further, the synchronizations are reporting success with significant data transfer.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:12 PM

All replies

• No, but a possible troubleshooting step in this particular case would be to set it to only synchronize before making your recovery point. I know, defeats the purpose of the entire 15 minute synchronization interval.

Perhaps the synchronizations are somehow clearing the mechanism for marking change? There has to be one, as a Secondary DPM server knows if the replica on the Primary has changed. Perhaps the synchronization is clearing this - and then when the recovery point triggers it thinks there hasn't been a change and fails with the ID 208 - 

Just a few thoughts -

Regards

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:31 PM
  • On this secondary server, the recovery points are once a day and the synchronization is once a day as well.  We've already adjusted those times somewhat without luck.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:22 PM
  • I know this is an old post, but did you ever get this resolved?
    Friday, March 24, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Honestly, I don't recall.  We may have reinstalled the system to get it to work.  I know a couple of times I've had some DPM database issues that were resolved through support cases.  They fixed the databases in the support sessions and DPM worked again.  I can't remember if this is one of those cases or not.  We've had so many DPM 2016 problems recently that I've been getting all of these issues confused.

Friday, March 24, 2017 4:58 PM