Server 2016 get-dfsrbacklog from Administrator Powershell RRS feed

• Question

• We just replaced 35 servers to Server 2016 (clean install).  They are all members of the replication group.  My goal is to seed the database for DFSR so that they don't take days to sync up.  

I can run get-dfsrbacklog from my server 2012 R2 box logged on as my server domain credentials (not domain admin, just delegated rights to the DFS replication group).  This 2012 R2 server is not a replication group member; it just has RSAT tools installed.

If I run the same command logged on as the same user from one of the 2016 replication group members, I get this error.  

PS C:\windows\system32> Get-DfsrBacklog -GroupName deployment -FolderName express -SourceComputerName svra -Destinatio
    omputerName svrb
    Get-DfsrBacklog : Could not retrieve the backlog information. Replication group: "deployment" Replicated folder:
    "express" Source computer: svra Destination computer: svrb Confirm that you are running in an elevated Windows
    PowerShell session and are a member of the local Administrators group on the destination computer. The destination
    computer must also be accessible over the network, and have the DFSR service running. This cmdlet does not support WMI
    calls for the following or earlier operating systems: Windows Server 2012. Details: The WinRM client sent a request to
    an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP
    server that does not support the WS-Management protocol.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-DfsrBacklog -GroupName files -FolderName sharea -SourceComp ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ProtocolError: (svra:String) [Get-DfsrBacklog], DfsrException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Get-DfsrBacklog.CimException,Microsoft.DistributedFileSystemReplication.Commands.GetDfsr
       BacklogCommand

The same error happens with get-dfsrstate export-dfsrclone etc.  I added my username to the administrator group directly to make sure it wasn't an issue with permissions granted through group membership.  

Monday, June 19, 2017 7:41 PM

All replies

• See the following:

• Confirmthat you are running inan elevated Windows PowerShellsession andare a member of the local Administrators groupon the destination computer.
    • Thedestination computer must also be accessible over the network, andhave the DFSR service running.
    • This cmdlet does notsupport WMI calls forthe following orearlier operating systems: Windows Server 2012. Details:
          The WinRMclient sent a request to an HTTP server andgot a response saying the requested HTTP URL was notavailable. This is usually     returned by a HTTP server that does notsupport the WS-Managementprotocol.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Monday, June 19, 2017 9:47 PM
    Monday, June 19, 2017 9:47 PM
  • Hi Mike,

From these errors to see: you have encountered some issues with WinRM.

please try the following steps first:

winrm /quickconfig

winrm get winrm/config

winrm create winrm/config/Listener?Address=IP:x.x.x.x+Transport=HTTP

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:36 AM
  • It's unusual for local powershell commands to require WinRM, but I'll go have a look.  I thought I had WinRM setup by group policy as well.  
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:40 PM
  • Your reply makes me think you didn't fully read the original post.  I can assure you that the powershell windows did say administrator in the title bar.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:41 PM
  • I was right about winrm being configured already.  

This is being run from the new 2016 server.  

This is the same command being run (same user) from a 2012 R2 server that is not a replica member.  

I did a restart on the server to see if winrm got configured by GP but needed a restart.  Command failed again after the restart.  

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:16 PM
  • Looks like you have a bit of troubleshooting to do.   The error message is quite explicit.  For some reason the server does not allow HTTP connections.  Either something in your command is wrong for you setup or the 2016 server is not completely configured as required by the CmdLets.

This can also be caused by network issues, firewall or permissions.  Since we cannot duplicate you network I do not see how we can guess at the cause.

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by Hello_2018 Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:45 PM