none
Can't boot into MDT 2012 WinPE on iMac RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to put Windows on our 2011 iMacs with MDT 2012, and every time I boot from the thumb drive, it freezes. I'm holding down option to get to the boot menu, and I press the EFI Boot volume that shows up, and that's the last input I get. No Windows icon or error logs. Any suggestions?
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:14 PM

Answers

• Modab

We had a similar issue and it was related to the fact that iMacs don't support the same level of EFI that WinPE uses.

We found that burning WinPE to a disk allowed us to boot as the iMac forced itself into legacy mode and didn't try to EFI boot it.

-Easton

• Marked as answer by Modab111 Friday, August 30, 2013 7:06 PM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Modab,

We did not find a solution for this issue. The best thing we came up with was to use DeployStudio to deploy MDT to the hard disk itself and boot from that. This allowed us to netboot and get to MDT without a flash drive or CD.

Newer models of Macs do not experience this issue

• Marked as answer by Modab111 Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:03 PM
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:53 AM

All replies

• Which version of Windows AIK or Windows ADK doe you use?

It is known that Windows ADK for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 can cause WinPE to freeze on older hardware, which should have a BIOS upgrade first. If this is the case, try uninstalling Windows ADK and use Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7 instead. Regenerate your boot images by updating the deployment share. Then WinPE 3.0 will be used instead of WinPE 4.0.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Friday, August 30, 2013 9:09 AM
  • Modab

We had a similar issue and it was related to the fact that iMacs don't support the same level of EFI that WinPE uses.

We found that burning WinPE to a disk allowed us to boot as the iMac forced itself into legacy mode and didn't try to EFI boot it.

-Easton

• Marked as answer by Modab111 Friday, August 30, 2013 7:06 PM
    Friday, August 30, 2013 1:10 PM
  • @weaston That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I wonder if there is any way to force legacy mode on a thumb drive? I will try burning some CDs with WinPE

@rens I didn't know that! I will try that next if the disc version doesn't work, as it is a little more extreme fix in this case and I don't want to potentially screw up our other MDT processes if I can help it.

Friday, August 30, 2013 4:52 PM
  • @weaston thank you so much! it seems to be working fine on a CD, which will have to do for now.
    Friday, August 30, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Modab,

We did not find a solution for this issue. The best thing we came up with was to use DeployStudio to deploy MDT to the hard disk itself and boot from that. This allowed us to netboot and get to MDT without a flash drive or CD.

Newer models of Macs do not experience this issue

• Marked as answer by Modab111 Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:03 PM
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:53 AM