none
Manual to Auto Schedule Task, No Predecessor, Start Date Moves RRS feed

• Question

• Admittedly, I'm a hack at project.  I know enough to be dangerous - but I have a question.

Referencing task #5 in the image below, I want to convert it from manual to auto schedule.  You can just make out that it has no predecessors - but it has identical resource names as task 2 and 3.  When I convert it, the start date moves to the tenth, and my guess is that it has to do with resource contention.

I guess I expected that with no predecessors it would keep the same start date, but it doesn't.  I really want everything to be auto scheduled.  What am I missing?

TA

Thanks,
    Corey Furman @ Facebook

• Edited by Corey Furman Wednesday, October 12, 2016 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you are mixing dependencies between normal and summary tasks. Have a look at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29569.ms-project-linking-andor-assigning-resources-to-summary-tasks.aspx why to this should be used very carefully.

In your sample, you have linked summary tasks 1 and 4. With manually scheduled task 5, you force summary task 4 to start earlier than defined by dependency. Dependency would schedule task 4 to start on 10/10 ... And this is exactly what happens, if you change task 5 to auto scheduled, not forcing task 4 to start too early.

Does that help?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you are mixing dependencies between normal and summary tasks. Have a look at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29569.ms-project-linking-andor-assigning-resources-to-summary-tasks.aspx why to this should be used very carefully.

In your sample, you have linked summary tasks 1 and 4. With manually scheduled task 5, you force summary task 4 to start earlier than defined by dependency. Dependency would schedule task 4 to start on 10/10 ... And this is exactly what happens, if you change task 5 to auto scheduled, not forcing task 4 to start too early.

Does that help?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Believe it or not, I'm just getting back to this.  I will review early next.  Meanwhile, thank you very much!

Thanks,
    Corey Furman @ Facebook

Friday, November 11, 2016 8:41 PM
  • Hi Corey,

It could be several things.  Auto Scheduled tasks will by default schedule to start As Soon As Possible, which looks to be about right given task 4 is 10/4/16. If you want everything to be auto scheduled AND levelled (to remove the resource contention) then you should switch levelling to Automatic - either before or after switching all tasks to Auto Scheduled.  Linking tasks of course will override the levelling options.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Sunday, November 13, 2016 12:00 AM
  • apologies to Barbara, I hadn't scrolled down to see your answer before butting in!

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Sunday, November 13, 2016 12:01 AM