How to cofigure a PC with 2 NIC, one to the Domain network and the other to a internet router RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a PC with XP Pro SP3, and it is connected to a Domain network with no access to Internet. Then I connect a Internet USB modem, type Pendrive, to get access to internet but the access fails. What I have noticed is that if I unplug the PC patch cord from the wall, inmediatly I got access to internet through the modem card. It would seem the answer to the question is clear. When the PC is plugged to the wall, the internet packets are sent to default gateway which is a Domain address, but obviously the packet will never get the internet, cause the Domain no has internet access. Now If I got out the patch cable, the packets won´t have another way but to look for the modem card. Then What configuration or review do I have to do in the PC to this process has gotten automatically, without taking the patch cord out  from the wall?. Am I reasoning appropiately the trouble or is there another explanaition about this case?. I will really appreciate your answer.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:49 AM

All replies

• You're stuck. You have to disable the default gateway from your domain network, and choose the default gateway from your modem. You might be able to fix this with adding some routes, perhaps. You might want to statically assign your dns servers. But you'll lose your domain access. Catch 22. You might need a smart type of proxy that might be able to help you with this. 

Good Luck!

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:11 PM