none
Problem in IE and Edge when selecting text with consecutive symbols RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to select text with consecutive preceding and trailing symbols in IE and Edge using mouse, they will automatically expand selection range to include unwanted symbols.

for example, when trying to do a text selection like this:

if you do it with mouse, then IE will automatically expand your selection range to this:

this problem will no occur if you do the selection with keyboard(shift + arrow keys)

is this a bug or a feature? if a feature, how can I disable it?

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Did you select an URL or a text string of webpage? Based on my test, I can reproduce this issue with the text string of webpage and not reproduce with the URL. It's a by designed behavior in IE and EDGE browser. 

If you have any confused, I recommend you submit the feedback in Windows 10.

Regards,

George Zhao

Forum Support

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:14 AM
  • I'm trying to select a text string. How can I disable this feature?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

It's a by designed behavior in IE and EDGE browser, we can't disable it.

Regards,

George Zhao

Forum Support

Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:57 AM
  • is there any way to report it to Micorsoft as a wish for future versions? Would love to be able to disable this "feature". It drives me nuts when e.g. editing Wikipedia. It always snap the whole wiki-Syntax and I cannot select part of words.
    Monday, November 28, 2016 6:05 AM
  • Hi Carlos,

EdgeHTML Issue tracker << search first before submitting.

although before you submit an issue ticket, press fn+f7 to see which state Caret browsing is in your Edge.

here is the listing of 'Caret browsing' issues logged at the Edge issue tracker.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/?page=1&q=caret%20browsing

see How to enable caret browsing in Edge, the Settings switches have been removed in W10au, so there's no UI indicator which state its in. I got confused about using the range elements, until I realized that Caret browsing was still turned on since before the AU(anniversary update)

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, November 28, 2016 7:22 AM