none
File Server - how to speed up RRS feed

• Question

• After migrating from Novell Netware 6.5 to Windows Server 2019 access to open/save file dramaticly increse. File Server is installed in default setting. Disk via DFS is mapped by group policy. File Server / DFS in Windows Server in the same network as Novell Netware working many times slower.

Below test time working with word/excel file.

In Novell Netware 6.5
    1) Open first file: < 1 second
    2) Open second file: < 1 second
    3) Save file after working with in 30 secund: < 1 second
    4) Save file after working with in 15 minuts: < 1 second
    5) Open file after 15 minutes delay: < 1 second

In the same computer with share from Windows Server 2019 - DFS:
    1) Open first file: 20 second
    2) Open second file: 3 second
    3) Save file after working with in 30 secund: 2 second
    4) Save file after working with in 15 minuts: 20 second
    5) Open file after 15 minutes delay: 20 second

How to speed up File Server in Windows Server Standard 2019.
    How to increase connection time to file server for 1 hour.

Configuration:
    2 Windows Server Standard 2019 File Sever DFS
    100 computers in domain
    100 users in domain

Thank you

Thursday, January 9, 2020 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

According to our description, I ams sorry, we do not know much about Novell Netware 6.5.

On Windows server 2019 DFS file servers, we can try to disable the services we do not use and expand file storage space.

Then check if it helps.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 13, 2020 9:05 AM
  • Sorry, but your answer is not relewant.
    I need solution to speed up File Server in Windows Server 2019, not to increase space.
    Monday, January 13, 2020 1:32 PM
  • Unfortunately, there is no "run faster" setting, so you are going to have to troubleshoot your server's performance to determine which component is causing your problem.   

Some items that I would check if I were having your problem.....

Is there sufficient cpu and memory capacity on the server? Is this a physical server or VM? Use task manager and resource monitor to analyze key performance metrics. 

Is the DFS share replicated between 2 systems? Have you tested a "normal" file share on the main server? 

On the file system, are you granting access by AD groups or individual user accounts? Is your domain controller performing  ok? (sufficient cpu and memory)

In perfmon have you analyzed logical and physical disk counters? Are you seeing disk queueing? Are the disks mirrored or RAID-5? Is the firmware up to date? On the array controller, what is the cache setting set to? 

When you ping the server from the client, does it respond in a timely manner? Have you run a network trace? Are packets being retransmitted? What speed is the NIC on the server set to? 

Have you stopped whatever antivirus software you are running to see if that is impacting performance?

Monday, January 13, 2020 8:14 PM
  • Windows Server is VM machine with SSD RAID10 disk. Is used 1% CPU and 45% memory.
    Permission is granted by AD groups.

Result of testing:
    1) Open txt file in notepad: less then 1 second
    2) Open Excel file: 20 second - Excel display: connection to ...
    3) Open another Excel file: 1 second
    4) Open Excel file after 30 minut of delay: 20 second - Excel display: connection to ...
    5) Open another Excel file: 1 second

Operation of coping file or moving to another location is very fast.
    Operation of opening Office file is very slow.
    No difference between connection to DFS share or mounted normal share from one server.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 10:31 AM
  •  Excel display: connection to ...

Connection to what???? The DFS share name? Are there cells in the spreadsheet that reference external data sources that refresh when the XLS is opened? 

Don't focus so much on the symptoms (the time it takes Excel to open a file), that doesn't tell you anything about the underlying activity.  

I believe that Word/Excel will create a .TMP file for editing in the same directory as the file being opened. That would be one logical area to investigate next. We need to analyze the calls that Excel is making and how long it takes to execute those calls.

Download Process Monitor and run it on the client. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I do not have MS Office on my laptop, so I will use Libre Office as an example. 

Run procmon and set a filter to include process name excel.exe. 

Then run Excel and open a spreadsheet.  In the trace you should see Excel reading your .xls and creating a tmp file. 

Look at the Time of Day column for big gaps. Are certain calls taking a long time?

In the Tools menu you can look at summaries of activities. 

Look at the file and network summaries. Does anything look unusual? Is there a lot of I/O to a particular file? In the network summary do you see Excel accessing servers other than the file server?  

Activity Summary.  

From the Tools menu you can also select Process Activity Summary. Double click on the process name and review the graph. Does anything look unusual?

• Edited by MotoX80 Tuesday, January 14, 2020 7:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 14, 2020 3:15 PM
  • Moto X 80 thank you for your help.
    Below I put screen with delay of Excel when editing and creating some threads, but I don't know what this is.
    Any idea ?

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:25 PM
  • No I do not. Right click excel.exe and select "highlight excel.exe". Then remove the filter for excel. You will then see the other calls that were being made by other processes. Look to see what is happening at that time. 
    Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:31 PM
  • Are multiple workstations having the problem? Is it every spreadsheet? If you create a simple spreadsheet and populate the cells with some data and save it to the server, do multiple workstations have slow response opening/updating it?
    Thursday, January 16, 2020 1:14 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?
    Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 5:27 AM
  • I'm sorry, I don't solved this issue.
    I have this problem on some workstation.
    Some worstation is working fast and some working slow.
    Slow working is on every Excel spreadsheet / Word document, even if file is very small ( less then 30kb ) person wait 30 second to open it.

Still looking for right solution.
    Monday, January 20, 2020 10:27 AM

• Still looking for right solution.

You first have to find the root cause of the problem before you can implement a solution. 

In the procmon trace you saw that Excel was taking a lot of time terminating threads. That might indicate that the workstation performance is an issue. I would suggest that we eliminate the Excel and Word processing and see if we can focus on the network and the server first.

Obvious culprits are the anti-virus scanning software, the indexing service, or network issue with VMWare/Hyper-V  or your routers.

I built a Powershell script that you can use to run a repeatable test on multiple workstations. You will have to create a folder to test with and put some files in it. For my testing, these file are all the same, just with different extensions. 

The script will copy the files from the server to the workstation. Then it creates a subfolder on the server and copies the files back. Next it will re-copy the files and overwrite the files in the server's subfolder.

We want to see if times are vastly different on different workstations or by file type. Paste the script into Powershell_ISE and run it. Be sure to insure that the workstation being used for the test is more or less idle. Shut down Excel/Word/Outlook/Ie/Edge/etc. 

Output will look like this:

Testing against these folders.
    C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\testfolder
    \\test10b\snafu\testfolder\testfolder
    Machines are on the same subnet.
    3.1947801 Ping time.
    1.1652731 Seconds to copy *.txt files from remote to local.
    4.6291307 Seconds to add *.txt files from local to remote testfolder.
    4.4351938 Seconds to replace *.txt files from local to remote testfolder.
    1.1252116 Seconds to copy *.xls files from remote to local.
    4.7534615 Seconds to add *.xls files from local to remote testfolder.
    4.5830813 Seconds to replace *.xls files from local to remote testfolder.
    1.3678607 Seconds to copy *.doc files from remote to local.
    4.7466259 Seconds to add *.doc files from local to remote testfolder.
    5.2770039 Seconds to replace *.doc files from local to remote testfolder.
    PS C:\Temp>

# NetworkPerformanceTest.ps1
    # Author Dave K. aka Motox80. 
    $source = '\\test10b\snafu\testfolder'  # the \\server\share\folder\folder\ that contains the files we are testing against  
    $testfolder = 'testfolder'              # a unique folder name used for testing  
    $ftypes = @('*.txt','*.xls','*.doc')    # file types to copy 

if (-not (test-path $source) ) {
        'Source does not exist'
        return 
    }

$localfolder = "$env:temp\$testfolder"
    $remotefolder = "$source\$testfolder"

if (test-path $localfolder ) {
        "{0} already exists" -f $localfolder
        return 
    }

if (test-path $remotefolder) {
        "{0} already exists" -f $remotefolder
        return 
    }

new-item  -name $testfolder -ItemType Directory -Path "$env:temp"  | out-null     # create our test folder on the local machine
    new-item  -name $testfolder -ItemType Directory -Path $target      | out-null     # create our test folder on the remote server

'Testing against these folders.'
    $localfolder
    $remotefolder 
    ''

# First test is to measure the network and check to see if we are on the same subnet 
    $pingtime = measure-command {
        $tnc = Test-NetConnection -ComputerName $source.split('\')[2] 
        ping.exe  $source.split('\')[2] | Out-Null
    }
    $r = $tnc.RemoteAddress.tostring().split('.')
    $r[3] = ''
    $s = $tnc.SourceAddress.tostring().split('.')
    $s[3] = ''
    if (($r -join '') -eq ($s -join '')) {       # assume a /24 network
        'Machines are on the same subnet.' 
        }
    else {
       'Machines are NOT on the same subnet.'
    }

"{0} Ping time." -f  $pingtime.TotalSeconds

# For each file type .txt, .xls,.doc  copy them locally and then write them back.  

foreach ($type in $ftypes ) {

$testtime = measure-command {
            $files = Get-ChildItem $source  -Filter $type
            $files | copy-item -Destination $localfolder   # copy the files to the local testfolder
        }
        "{0} Seconds to copy {1} files from remote to local." -f $testtime.TotalSeconds, $type 

$files = Get-ChildItem $localfolder  -Filter $type
            $files | copy-item -Destination $remotefolder   # copy the files to the remote testfolder
        }
        "{0} Seconds to add {1} files from local to remote testfolder." -f $testtime.TotalSeconds, $type 

$files = Get-ChildItem $localfolder  -Filter $type
            $files | copy-item -Destination $remotefolder  -Force # copy the files to the remote testfolder
        }
        "{0} Seconds to replace {1} files from local to remote testfolder." -f $testtime.TotalSeconds, $type 

}

# We're done, clean up 
    Remove-Item "$localfolder" -recurse -Force                   # clean up the local test folder
    Remove-Item "$remotefolder" -recurse -Force                  # clean up the server's test folder

• Edited by MotoX80 Monday, January 20, 2020 8:00 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2020 6:06 PM
  • I run script in multiple workstations.
    Below results from two of them:

0,0748021 Ping time.
    0,0454505 Seconds to copy *.txt files from remote to local.
    0,0063131 Seconds to add *.txt files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0062674 Seconds to replace *.txt files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0037962 Seconds to copy *.xls files from remote to local.
    0,0014512 Seconds to add *.xls files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0012719 Seconds to replace *.xls files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0016118 Seconds to copy *.doc files from remote to local.
    0,0015518 Seconds to add *.doc files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0014273 Seconds to replace *.doc files from local to remote testfolder.

0,0519068 Ping time.
    0,0423222 Seconds to copy *.txt files from remote to local.
    0,007157 Seconds to add *.txt files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0063591 Seconds to replace *.txt files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0031139 Seconds to copy *.xls files from remote to local.
    0,0014014 Seconds to add *.xls files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0013871 Seconds to replace *.xls files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0017298 Seconds to copy *.doc files from remote to local.
    0,0015337 Seconds to add *.doc files from local to remote testfolder.
    0,0014222 Seconds to replace *.doc files from local to remote testfolder.

Network is working fine.
    I can copy file from share to desktop in blink of eye.
    Problem is when somebody want's to open file with Word od Excel.
    Open Word or Excel file takes 20 second and in this time Word/Excel display splashscreen with information "connected to ...".

Problem is on multiple workstation with Office 2010, 2013 and 2016.
    I don't see problems on workstation with Office 2019.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:29 AM
  • So that says that you do not have a file server problem, you have a Word/Excel problem. 

How are you testing Excel? Are you double clicking on an .xls file on the network share, or are you launching Excel and then selecting the spreadsheet from the File/Open menu? Does it make a difference how the file is opened? 

Who installs/configures/supports Office in your organization? What do they think? Is Office up to date? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-2010-click-to-run

Are you using shared workbooks? https://contexturesblog.com/archives/2012/07/24/shared-workbook-limits-in-excel-2010/ 

Do you have connections to external data sources? https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-edit-and-manage-connections-to-external-data-89d44137-f18d-49cf-953d-d22a2eea2d46

Otherwise we are back to the process monitor trace. Can you save a trace and share it on Dropbox (or somewhere) so that I can take a look at it? 

Shutdown all apps and launch procmon. Start the trace and recreate the problem. Immediately stop the trace. It can capture a lot of data. 

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:18 PM
  • I testing Excel by double click on them.
    By open file from File/Open menu is the same.

This is stanalone (not shared) workbook, without connection to external data source.

I shutdown all apps and run process monitor.
    Below screen with delay I show.
    This is strange:
    GIGAEZD422.ksapad.pl:50001 -> 27-109-105-109.akamai-cluster-tug.nordu.net:http

I can save trace but not right now.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 12:50 PM
  • No need for a trace, I think that you found the problem. Check the installed programs and see which machines are using the "Click to run" and Windows Installer versions of Office.  

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-2010-Click-to-Run-Introduction-c6205d37-b00d-4f99-91bb-c37a1d78b21b

You can stream Microsoft Office 2010 and be running your Office programs in as little as 90 seconds (under five minutes on average),

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-installed-with-Click-to-Run-and-Windows-Installer-on-same-computer-isn-t-supported-30775ef4-fa77-4f47-98fb-c5826a6926cd

In case you don't know what Akamai is see  https://www.answers.com/Q/How_does_Akamai_work

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:30 PM
  • Hi,
    We have not heard from you for several days. Have you found the problem as MotoX80 mentioned?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, January 31, 2020 4:33 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? If so, we can update and share here.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Monday, February 3, 2020 6:19 AM