WMP 11 sharing not working RRS feed

• Question

• When I select "Share my Media" and then hit "OK", I get an hourglass for a few seconds and then the "OK" box goes live again.  No list of hardware.   I've tried turning off Windows Firewall to no avail, likewise most of the other suggestions online.  Any ideas?
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:43 PM

Answers

• hmm ... I had a similar case like this with different environment:
    - my laptop is Windows 7 w/ WMP11
    - I got PS3
    - using a wireless Belkin Share router, both devices connected via wifi
    - PS3 always fail to connect until I attached them using cable
    - issue was fixed with firmware update on the wireless router

so here's a couple more test to try:

• make sure that you set your share media settings and keep the box open before you start the TV and integra, this is so you can see immediately if any of them tries to connect
      sometimes a device can only "discover" shared media library on startup (check the manual)
    • check if there's a firmware update for the router
    • see if you can find another switch/router and check if that works
      I did a test on a standard 5-port switch and the new PC I turned on immediately listed in the devices list box

good luck!

Andrew P.
    • Edited by p.andrew Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:36 AM added screenshot
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaEditor Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:43 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 10:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It looks like your hardware is not seeing the PC or your PC is not seeing the hardware. Can you give more details on your hardware and setup?

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Monday, December 5, 2011 2:37 AM
  • I have a Dell 8400 with Win XP/SP3 and WMP 11.  I have a Netgear router with 4 ports.  I have a new Sony TV and an Integra preamp connected to the router along with the PC.  I know the Integra is "hot" because I can get Internet radio through it.  I assume the Integra cannot see the PC because WMP is not properly set up.  In the course of troubleshooting, I found a reference to firewall.  I turned it off (Windows firewall) without any apparent effect on WMP.  I use no other firewalls (that I know of).  I also have an iPad that connects to the router wirelessly OK.  I use MS Security Essentials.  WMP appears to work OK otherwise.

Kent Douglass

ballboy70

Edward K Douglass
    Monday, December 5, 2011 4:15 AM
  • I remember having this issue a while ago.

first, make sure that the device and the computer can communicate with each other, or at least on the same LAN
    you can test this by going into your router's admin page and check if the device is allocated an IP address.

second, confirm the sharing settings on WMP11 by:
    - after clicking share my media, click on Settings button on the new box that comes up
    - make sure you select all media types and All Ratings
    - you can also put a check mark on Allow new devices ... options at the bottom

I'm not familiar with Integra preamp so not sure how it actually "discover" a shared library.
    Maybe you can get the guide from their site?

Ap

Andrew P.
    Monday, December 5, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Andrew,

All 3 of my networked devices (PC, TV, and Integra AVP) show as attached devices on my router manager.  Neither the TV nor the AVP can find the WMP library.  When I select Media Sharing in WMP, I get only one selection---"Share my media".  When I choose Share my media and hit "OK", I get an hourglass for a few seconds and then OK lights up again.  Basically, nothing happens.  WMP is up to date, BTW.  It just seems like something is inhibiting WMP from performing properly.

Edward K Douglass
    Monday, December 5, 2011 4:53 PM
  • hmm ... I had a similar case like this with different environment:
    - my laptop is Windows 7 w/ WMP11
    - I got PS3
    - using a wireless Belkin Share router, both devices connected via wifi
    - PS3 always fail to connect until I attached them using cable
    - issue was fixed with firmware update on the wireless router

so here's a couple more test to try:

• make sure that you set your share media settings and keep the box open before you start the TV and integra, this is so you can see immediately if any of them tries to connect
      sometimes a device can only "discover" shared media library on startup (check the manual)
    • check if there's a firmware update for the router
    • see if you can find another switch/router and check if that works
      I did a test on a standard 5-port switch and the new PC I turned on immediately listed in the devices list box

good luck!

Andrew P.
    • Edited by p.andrew Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:36 AM added screenshot
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaEditor Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:43 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Andrew, what you see in Win 7 is totally irrelevant to what Ballboy sees in Win XP.  The question was posed for Win XP.  Your contribution amounts to no more than spam!

It isn't relevant whether his Integra preamp 'sees' his computer, that will only happen when Media Sharing is enabled.  The only relevant issue here is that WMP Media Sharing doesn't 'see' his Integra.  Media Sharing MUST be enabled BEFORE any devices can 'see' the files on his computer.  In order for Media Sharing to enable, it must 'see' the devices on the network which will be accessing the files on his computer using the Media Sharing feature.  Media Sharing will not work until WMP first 'sees' his Integra.  That is the problem.

Please abstain from commenting if you don't understand the issue, it only adds to the confusion.

• Edited by Red ZCar Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:37 AM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:13 AM
  • I get the exact same problem when I try to share media on my computer with my Marantz  AV 7005 networking preamp-processor and my Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray disc player with built-in networking and internet media player, both very state of the art high-end A/V equipment which easily stream media from the internet - just not from my Win XP SP3 computer.

This is an ongoing problem with WMP 11 in Win XP.  I've been searching for an answer for months to no avail.  I feel the gentle yet constant nudging of the obtuse Microsoft product designers toward Apple more and more with every passing day.  I abhor the notion of switching my home computing equipment to Apple, but I may be forced to do so in order to continue into the 21st century.  Microsoft simply doesn't get it.

A casual Bing or Google search on this topic will return dozens if not hundreds of the exact same complaint, yet not one single helpful hint from Microsoft.  Totally exasperating.  I'm seeing visions of Apple in my home networking future.

BTW, please don't offer any poorly thought out knee-jerk irrelevant answers unless you actually know what you're doing.  All of us with this issue have already chased down hundreds of blind alleys offered by other idiots - don't need any new idiots.

• Edited by Red ZCar Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:39 AM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Duh!
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:27 AM
  • ... I don't even remember this post.

But "thanks" for "pointing" that out, Red.
    I did mention that my issue was on a different environment but I thought that would give him an idea on other ways to troubleshoot.

anyway, I don't think MS will actually do anything about it since support for XP will expire on 2014.
    With Windows 8 out, I believe they won't spend any more effort on fixing a soon-to-be-retired product:
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=windows+xp&Filter=FilterNO

Ballboy70, any update on this?

Andrew P.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:32 AM
  • I am employing the highly sophisticated strategy of hoping my investments do well so I can afford a desktop Mac when the new ones come out later this year.  I have also discovered that the latest version of iTunes freezes Win XP and I can't take it anymore. Thanks for your help.

Ballboy

Edward K Douglass

• Proposed as answer by p.andrew Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:21 PM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:18 PM
  • there you go, folks!

the solution is to get a good investment strategy and buy yourself a mac.

Andrew P.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:21 PM