none
FAST for SharePoint doesn't crawl RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've succesfully deployed FAST search for Sharepoint without facing any problems. When I created a ContentSSA called FASTContent it does not crawl a thing. Full crawl starts but never finishes. The status says Crawling full and there are no errors but crawl never finishes. I've tried this on a fileshare which has a 1 text file, and also on a very small web site, and SharePoint site. Every content source acts same, It always says crawling full and it never finishes or gets data or gives an error.

What should be the problem? Have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi barney,

Could you take a look at the ULS logs in SharePoint? My initial thought is that you have not installed the certificates correctly for the Content SSA as described at TechNet.

You can run the following PowerShell cmdlet on your SharePoint server to verify that the certificate is set up correctly:

Ping-SPEnterpriseSearchContentService –HostName "FASTServer1.mydomain.com"

It should return connection successful = "true" for the certificate used with your Content SSA.

Another issue could be if you have a proxy installed which might interfere with the traffic.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Friday, September 30, 2011 6:17 PM
  •  

I have the same problem. But the ping says this. And that is ok i guess.

CertificateName     Thumbprint          ExpiryDate            ConnectionSuccess
    ---------------     ----------          ----------            -----------------
    No certificate      No certificate      None                              False
    CN=ForefrontIden... 688514DA2BCA84E6... 1-1-2040 0:59:59                  False
    CN=WMSvc-SP         2848C601F397BAE4... 27-11-2020 16:07:33               False
    CN=FASTSearchCert   B75D25890D8903BC... 22-10-2012 22:17:23                True

Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Hi Antonie,

Your certificate look ok, and you generated it yesterday :) Try using ULS viewer, or open the SharePoint logs manually and look for errors or log information from the search process.

Also, have you verified that running "nctrl status" shows all processes operational on the FAST server? And have you verified that you entered the correct content distributor address(es) on the Content SSA?

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Mikael,

I have having the same situaiton only my ping shows all are false.  I have followed the steps to install the cert on my servers. The only thing different on my setup is i have a second Crawl component on another server.  I have validated the certificate is installed and my search user has access to the key.  I have also validated that all the servers are using the same certificate.

I feel i am very close to fixing my problem, but something is missing.  Should I remove the second crawl componet?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:47 PM
  • Hi Bowersmakr,

Did you follow the guide at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff599534.aspx for setting up the ssl communication on all servers having the crawl component?

Also, is the crawl component running under the same appPool account on the other server as the primary one? If not, try to add that user to the FASTSearchAdministrators local group.

I assume ping should actually work for each app server having a crawler component.

Another question, why do you have two crawler components.. is it because your first server isn't able to crawl fast enough? Remember that crawling on the content ssa only pulls down content and does no processing, so it's more a bandwidth issue than a CPU issue, as FAST handles the processing.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.  For troubleshooting, I have removed my second crawl component.  We had a different understanding of the Crawl componets and may revisit it in the future.

I have verified the thumbprints for the Cert on the FAST server match those on the SharePoint server. 

I have verified that the Account used for both the Admin service and the OSearch14 service has access to the private key and is in the FASTSearchAdministrators local group.

I am wondering if I should recreate the FAST cert and then reapply it to the SSA.   Also does the service account running all the FAST server services need to be the same as the Account running OSearch14?

Thanks again for your help

Update:  If I add the port number to the ping i get a true result, but in my dev environment I don't have to use the port number. 

-Michael

• Edited by Bowersmakr Monday, November 21, 2011 1:58 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:08 PM