office 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to prevent users from using the custom dictionary in Office 2013 on spelling errors.

I have checked the option\proofing\"suggest from main dictionary only" setting, in group policies and verified the setting is taking effect.

However, when I tested this, a user is still able to add a word in the custom dictionary and the "suggested spelling" does not activate when this word I have added is retyped. So the custom dictionary is still being used.

Am I misinterpreting this setting?

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:22 AM

Answers

• You could try setting Word to use a common custom.dic file for all users and make that a read-only file or restrict its write access permissions so that only designated people can edit it. Even that, though, wouldn't prevent people creating and using a different custom dictionary. There may be group policies to prevent that.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:01 PM

All replies

• AFAIK, a word added to the custom dictionary won't show up as a spelling error, and so won't be flagged as one, whilst the "suggest from main dictionary only" setting only tells Word not to look in the custom dictionary for possible corrections to words that do get flagged as spelling errors.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 1:22 AM
  • Paul,

thanks for the answer. I guess that setting doesn't solve my issue. 

I guess I need to remove the custom.dic via group policies or prevent users from adding words to the custom.dic via group polices. Any suggestions on how to do this?

thanks!

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 1:30 PM
  • You could try setting Word to use a common custom.dic file for all users and make that a read-only file or restrict its write access permissions so that only designated people can edit it. Even that, though, wouldn't prevent people creating and using a different custom dictionary. There may be group policies to prevent that.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:01 PM