none
Hyper-v 2016 virtual machine NTFS permission

Question

• Hello,

I have exporeted a Virtual machine from one server and copied it to Windows 2016 Hyper-V.

I have imported the virtual machine without error

When I try to start the virtual machine I receive the error "Unable to change the state"

I have made a look at the NTFS and I have discovered who other virtual machine created in the server have the permission for the "Virtual machines" group.

How I can change the permission for my virtual machine? I use the same way as 2012 R2 so use the machine ID ?

LSo

LSo Lorenzo Soncini Trento TN - Italy

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:04 AM

All replies

• Hello Lorenzo,

first of all, I suggest to check in the VM Settings if there are configuration errors (for example in "Network Adapter") and fix it, if present.

This article shows you how to export and import a virtual machine and discusses some of the choices to make when doing an export or import.

Change manually the NTFS permissions is not necessary.

Regards,

Francesco Molfese

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Microsoft MVP

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:40 AM
  • Probably something went wrong during the import.

I have used Everyone for change the VM folders permission and now the Virtual Machine running.

So I need use the "Virtual machines" group for make the correction to the NTFS but I'm unable to find or use it.

LSo

LSo Lorenzo Soncini Trento TN - Italy

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:54 AM
  • "Virtual Machines" is a built-in group created when the Hyper-V role is installed.  You can find the Well-known security identifiers for this group in KB243330.

You can use powershell command-let "set-acl" to set the SID “S-1-5-83-0”.

Regards,

Francesco Molfese

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Microsoft MVP

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:05 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates on the issue?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017 2:10 AM