none
No “SharePoint Server Search” listed in services.

Question

• Hello All,

I am asking a question about SharePoint 2016 in this forum because there wasn’t an option for 2016 as of yet. When attempting to configure the search center in SharePoint 2016, I am unable to complete the last steps. When I go to the “Manage Services on Server” page, there is no “SharePoint Server Search” listed. So I am unable to complete the step that requires me to start the service. I do not know how I am missing the service as I am ne to SharePoint as a whole. I have looked at other websites in regards to adding services that are missing but I seem to be the only person missing this particular service. In turn when I move past that step and configure source content for my crawl the status stays in a perpetual phase of “Starting” and never progresses to actually crawling the site. Please assist with whatever knowledge you can impart.

This is the resource I followed to configure search

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/42310.configure-search-service-in-sharepoint-server-2016.aspx 

Thanks for your help!

• Edited by AniiPon Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:15 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi AniiPon,

Firstly, go to Start->Run->type “services.msc”, check if the “SharePoint Server Search 16” and “SharePoint Search Host Controller” services are running.

Then in the manage services on server page, select “All” in the View dropdown list in the top-right corner and check if you can see “SharePoint Server Search” service in the list.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:09 AM
  • Hey Grace,

Thank you for responding! I checked the things that you suggested. The “SharePoint Server Search 16” and “SharePoint Search Host Controller” services are both running. 

Selecting view all did allow me to see the “SharePoint Server Search” service in the list and it was already running. So I do not know what direction I need to go in and still have a crawl that won't move past the "Starting" phase.

Please advise anything else that could be useful. I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:57 PM
  • Hi AniiPon,

Please troubleshoot your issue as following:

Try to use PowerShell command to check the status of current content sources and stop the crawl if it’s not complete.

Get-SPEnterpriseSearchCrawlContentSource -SearchApplication "Search Service Application" | ForEach-Object {

if ($_.CrawlStatus -ne "Idle")

{

Write-Host "Stopping currently running crawl for content source $($_.Name)..."

$_.StopCrawl()

do { Start-Sleep -Seconds 1 }

while ($_.CrawlStatus -ne "Idle")

}

}

http://sharepoint-learners.blogspot.sg/2016/11/sharepoint-search-stuck-on-completing.html

Besides, how large is the data in the content source? If it’s large, try to shrink the start addresses and check again.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 1:53 AM
  • Hi AniiPon,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer to help other community members to find the information quickly.               

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Thursday, April 26, 2018 2:01 AM
  • Hello Grace,

Sorry for the late response, we are a two person department and it gets very busy when one goes on vacation. I used the script and it did stop my crawl. I configured a new Search Service and will see if that one can complete a crawl. Again sorry for the late response and thanks for your help!

Friday, May 04, 2018 9:56 PM
  • I configured a new search service after stopping the old one. I let the index run over the weekend. When checking it this morning, it is also still in the "starting" phase. We don't have a large data set on our SharePoint site since it is very new. Currently we only have 2 two sub-sites that are actually being used by their departments. Also, do I need to open a new thread this this one has morphed from the originally stated question?

Thanks!

Monday, May 07, 2018 4:26 PM