none
DPM 2010 compression for recovery to network folder? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to restore SQL database files to a network folder across the WAN. Is there any way to compress the files prior to transfer? Anything to speed up the transfer and bandwidth usage really..
    Friday, August 10, 2012 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Tpullins, When you enable on-wire-compression at the protection group level, compression is applied during replica creation, synchronization, and consistency check operations. Recovery jobs for those data sources will also use on-wire-compression.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by tpullins Monday, August 13, 2012 4:16 PM
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:49 PM

All replies

• Hi tpullins,

You could use the "On-the-Wire Compression" option => Action pane Optimize performance...

See technet : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399412.aspx

Interesting post : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/dataprotectionmanager/thread/5bda7e74-5f38-481e-9dba-1a36626bdc21

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

• Proposed as answer by Stephane LADUNE Saturday, August 11, 2012 10:15 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by tpullins Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:47 PM
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 10:15 AM
  • The problem is I need compression during the restore, not the backup. The backup is done locally but the files are restored over the WAN, is there an "On-the-wire compression" option for this?
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:47 PM
  • The problem is I need compression during the restore, not the backup. The backup is done locally but the files are restored over the WAN, is there an "On-the-wire compression" option for this?

Hi Tpullins,

I do not know of a way to do compression on restores with DPM out of the box. A potential option would be to use Riverbed technology to accomplish compression and optimizing the traffic over the WAN. That is however a third party and would come at a cost. I have been in talks with them recently about using Riverbed with DPM. If you are interested at all I could try to find out more information on this for you. Let me know.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

Tpullins, When you enable on-wire-compression at the protection group level, compression is applied during replica creation, synchronization, and consistency check operations. Recovery jobs for those data sources will also use on-wire-compression.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by tpullins Monday, August 13, 2012 4:16 PM
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Hi,

Good info Mike, didn't know the compression is on recovery traffic as well.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, August 12, 2012 1:20 AM
  • Hi Buchatech,

It's written in the technet link ;)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 8:42 AM