none
Exchange 2010 _ emails lost during the transmission within Exchange environment

Question

• Hi There,

I have a starage issue, some random emails are lost during the transmission, particularly while sending to external recipients, its a Exchange 2010+Hybrid environment.

When I trace that particular email, the last hob(HT server) that received the email did not relay the emails to its next hob(mail gateway server). My confusion is, this problem hapenning with any random emails(once in a week) and hapenning with any random HT server, I have 4 HT servers total, problem was identified in all the HT servers randomly.

1. Is there a chance that emails are stuck in any different queue? if yes how to check that?

when I trace using the following command I saw the above results, however i dont know how to locate if this is stuck in queue.
    Get-MessageTrackingLog -Server "HTSrvName" -Start "08/24/2016 09:00:00" -End "08/24/2016 17:00:00" -Sender "john@contoso.com"

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

You can open Exchange 2010 EMC and click on Tools and open queue viewer to see each HT Server queues or use powershell get-queue -server HT1 as an example.

Edward van Biljon - Exchange MVP

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:24 AM
  • in queues I cant find that email, also in trace i cant trace it beyond that HT server.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:36 AM
  • Exchange Server – Troubleshooting internal/external mail flow issues: http://msexchangeguru.com/2013/07/29/troubleshooting-mail-flow-issues/

Check this article which will provide you with information and troubleshooting tips that will make the task of finding missing emails: http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchange-server-how-to-find-missing-emails/

How to troubleshoot mail stuck in the Outbox:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/182572

Hope this helps!

Migrate mailboxes, Public Folders, Outlook profiles and rules and GAL etc. to-and-fro Exchange Servers and Office 365 with LepideMigrator for Exchange

Thursday, August 25, 2016 5:39 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I know that some random message missing and not placed in queue, especial external mail flow.
    If I mislead your concern, please feel free to let me know.

To narrow down your issue, I want to ensure:
    1. Does those message disappear without NDR to sender?
    2. Do you enable shadow redundancy to prevents data loss in transmission?
    3. Do you have Edge or firewall between Internet with Exchange?

Since this issue occur randomly, please run below command with verified message subject to search message in your environment and collect for analyze:

$Servers = Get-ExchangeServer; $Servers | where {$_.isHubTransportServer -eq $true -or $_.isMailboxServer -eq $true} | Get-MessageTrackingLog -MessageSubject -eq "xxxxx" -Sender "xxxx" -Recipient "xxxx" | Select-Object Timestamp,ServerHostname,ClientHostname,Source,EventId,Recipients | Sort-Object -Property Timestamp

Besides, please run below command to check the shadow redundancy setting:
    Get-TransportConfig | FL *shadow*

If "ShadowRedundancyEnabled" is false, you can set it to true for testing. More details about this setting, for your reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351046(v=exchg.141).aspx

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 26, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Thanks Allen, your response was more relevent to my questions, ill check and let you know
    Monday, August 29, 2016 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please provide us with an update on the status of your issue?

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, September 3, 2016 2:21 PM
  • hi there,

i'm still working on it.

Monday, September 5, 2016 1:43 AM