Event Log Service will not Start RRS feed

• Question

• On a standalone (Dell) Vista Business machine, a little more than one month after purchase, the Event Log Service has stopped running.  It is set to start automatically, and either does not start or teminates quickly.  I am unable to view the Event Logs to troubleshoot the problem, of course, because the Event Log Service is not running!  On attempting to start the service manually while logged in as Administrator, Error #5 is encountered: Access is Denied.

Other than MS Office, primary applications installed are ZoneAlarm, PCAnywhere, a VPN service, and a small database service.  Each of these is a supposedly Vista-compatible version; no problems were encountered after installing and briefly testing each one.  Turning off ZoneAlarm, Windows Firewall, and User Account Control have no effect on the problem.

Dell has pointed to Windows Updates; unfortunately, my attempt to restore to an earlier date failed, and my subsequent attempt to undo the restore also failed (I guess I needed some entertainment that day).

Any suggestions (other than Dell's "reinstall Vista") would be MORE than welcome.

Thank you.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:54 AM