Deploying Windows 7 and Office 2010 updates for both English and Japanese machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am in the process of deploying Windows 7 and office 2010 updates.  i have downloaded and deployed only English language updates so far, however as we have now got a group of users in Japan using Japanese Windows 7 and Japanese Office 2010 I now need to deploy to them.  I have selected the Japanese (Japan) in the Software Update Point configuration but how do I now download and deploy the updates to japanese machines which I have already downloaded ?

From what I can tell, I have to download each update again and select Japanese as well as English and then choose to an existing deployment package to update (The update package will then contain both English and Japenese versions of the updates).  From there I just deploy the updates to all machines and the japanese machines will install the japanese version of the update and the English machines will install the English version.  Is that correct ?

I I redownload the updates with both Japenese and English language selected and deploy to all machines, what will happen ?  Will the English machines just install the English version and the Japanese the Japanese version.

The Japanese machines are reporting that the updates which are currently downloaded are required but as they are currently English Language only if I deploy them to Japanese machines, what will happen ?  Will the Japanese machines simply ignore the updates because they are English only, even though they are reporting that they need them ?

I will be using ADR in the future to make this a simpler process but at the moment it is still a manual process.

Thanks

G

Friday, October 17, 2014 10:33 AM

Answers

• A system will only install the updates that are applicable to that machine. It will never install updates that are not applicable. So, yes an English system will install the English updates and a Japanese system will install the Japanese update (when the content is available).

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Engberg Friday, October 17, 2014 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Friday, October 24, 2014 10:02 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 6:26 PM

All replies

• A system will only install the updates that are applicable to that machine. It will never install updates that are not applicable. So, yes an English system will install the English updates and a Japanese system will install the Japanese update (when the content is available).

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Engberg Friday, October 17, 2014 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Friday, October 24, 2014 10:02 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Thanks Peter

I guess I have to go and redownload each update again and choose Japanese as well as English ?  I presume if I choose to use a current update package it will see that the english version is already there and only download the Japanese version ?

G

Friday, October 17, 2014 10:08 PM
  • That is indeed correct when you're downloading to the same package.

Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:55 AM