File doesn't open in all browsers RRS feed

• Question

• This may seem like a web script question, but if I can get some more information on why IE shows a dialog box, I may be able to find the fix that I'm looking for.

When this link is selected on a web page in website1
    the file appears successfully (in all browsers)(it's a .png file).

In website2 (same php web script, same web server, same computer accessing both website1 and website2), when viewing via IE10 or IE9, and that link is selected, a dialog box appears: "Do you want to open or save (the file name) from (web address)? OPEN SAVE CANCEL. The only glaring difference is that website2 has an SSL certificate and website1 does not. Ultimately, I'm trying to fix website2 so that the file opens successfully in IE9 and IE10 without opening up a dialog box first. Can tell me in what conditions would a dialog box open, or not open? Maybe to help me understand what might be triggering a dialog box(as in website2), or what may not be triggering a dialog box (as in website1). I look forward to any insight that might help me figure this out. Much thanks.

Saturday, May 23, 2015 12:08 AM

Answers

• Hi chrisjchrisj,

The main issue is that the file on the website won`t be opened directly, right?
    Have you checked this option "Always ask before opening this type of file"?
    To check this option:
    1.Open/Save prompt.
    2.Select the Save option.
    3.Then in Internet Explorer click Tools
    4.Under Tools click the View Downloads option
    5.You will see a popup containing the file that you just downloaded.
    6.Right-click on the file
    7.In the options presented, make sure to un-check the option labeled: Always ask before opening this type of file
    The option does not appear to be supported on Windows 8/8.1 running IE 11.

If this issue is related to the web script, we can ask for help from our MSDN forum. If it is possible, please post the web script there. It will be very clear for others to understand the issue. Thanks for understanding and cooperation.
    Internet Explorer Web Development
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=iewebdevelopment

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 25, 2015 9:21 AM