none
What instructs a pc to communicate with MDT after reboot? RRS feed

• Question

• I've already posted a similar question to this...and am hoping for a speedy answer. Work pressure.....

I just created an offline deploy with a USB using the Media method. My pc will boot to the USB and go through the
    MDT process  - getting drivers, the OS, unattend - but when it reboots and needs to finish the process, nothing happens.
    The State Restore portion of the TS does not kick off...the machine just sits there. I've made these before but this OS on this USB will not work (tried other USB keys and devices as well).

I'm needing to know what is preventing the TS from completing. I added the customsettings and bootstrap as I've done with the others.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:16 PM

Answers

• I read something over this week about WIMs created in an older version of MDT and not playing well in the updated 2013 U2 version. I believe this was my issue...I was creating a new Deploy TS using a WIM already captured a few years ago. It kept failing to finish the process after the last reboot.

I simply modified the existing Deploy TS with a new Media file, and left off the older drivers and checked the new ones. Now the thing boots to the desktop and completes all the way to the Summary screen. Almost three days of the long way around while the shortcut worked much better! Whew.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Friday, March 24, 2017 6:33 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 6:33 PM

All replies

• Are the Copy Scripts steps enabled in your task sequence?  I have one under Preinstall, right after drive formatting and a second one under PostInstall as the first step.  

To me it sounds like the startup script is not being copied over, so after the autologon it never runs the LiteTouch.wsf to continue to deployment.   

The script should be located in C:\MININT\Scripts\LiteTouch.wsf

A shortcut should be created in C:\ProgramData\Micrososft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

• Edited by Calash_nec Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:12 PM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 4:06 PM
  • I created a whole new Deploy TS. I then manually created a new Selection Profile and made sure everything was added. I checked the MININT folder and the .wsf file is there, as well as the shortcut in Startup.

When I made this USB, I copied each folder over one by one and compared the folder sizes to made sure everything was the same.

The OS, drivers get installed. The unattend gets applied but once it reboots to the desktop, nothing. It doesn't continue on to complete the TS.

Friday, March 24, 2017 12:26 PM
  • That is very odd.  Double check your unattended.xml.  Their should also be a reference to wscript.exe %SystemDrive%\LTIBootstrap.vbs under FirstLogonCommands.  I would expect that to get created automatically when you create a new Task List.
    Friday, March 24, 2017 2:02 PM
  • I read something over this week about WIMs created in an older version of MDT and not playing well in the updated 2013 U2 version. I believe this was my issue...I was creating a new Deploy TS using a WIM already captured a few years ago. It kept failing to finish the process after the last reboot.

I simply modified the existing Deploy TS with a new Media file, and left off the older drivers and checked the new ones. Now the thing boots to the desktop and completes all the way to the Summary screen. Almost three days of the long way around while the shortcut worked much better! Whew.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Friday, March 24, 2017 6:33 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 6:33 PM